Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > HELP... 2 handed bottle capper has turned to crap...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2009, 02:44 AM   #1
CROM
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default HELP... 2 handed bottle capper has turned to crap...

so I bought this a while back

and for the first batch of beer I had no problems... the 2nd batch of beer I noticed I had some difficulty on a few bottles...

and now this time, I wasted about 3 caps per bottle because I couldnt get it to cap properly...

is this common with these 2 handed cappers?

Im definitely going to be buying one of those one handed pull down type cappers very soon...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-02-2009, 02:48 AM   #2
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 461 Times on 367 Posts
Likes Given: 17

Bench capper. That's whatcha want.

That's what I want too, actually. I'm still "winging it".

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 12-02-2009, 02:51 AM   #3
CROM
Recipes 

the first time I used it no problems... this time it wont evenly distribute the force behind it... I push down as evenly as I could and.... bam, slanted to the side a lil bit, try again, and gently now, and.... clunk, not sitting right...

Old 12-02-2009, 03:00 AM   #4
Deuce
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have capped over 14 batches of beer with that exact same capper and have never had a problem. Not to be a jag off but, maybe its the way your doing it? I had a friend come over and help me bottle my pumpkin ale, and he too would waste at least 2 caps per bottle, making them slide all over the counter. The one thing I taught him is this; dont push down on the wings, but pretend you are bending a piece of rebar right at the top of the bottle, therefore, your not putting any pressure down on the bottle, but leverage on the capper. OR... your capper is a piece of trash

Old 12-02-2009, 03:05 AM   #5
BeerCrazy
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I use screw top bottles and a rubber mallet... give it a shot and tell me how it goes! Jk.

I have used mine for 4 or 5 whole batches and 12 bottles from another 20 or so batches. No problem. When it pisses me off, it is going in the trash though and getting replaced with a fancy bench top one.

Old 12-02-2009, 03:15 AM   #6
CROM
Recipes 

could it be the bottles? I noticed some were easier than others

Old 12-02-2009, 04:12 AM   #7
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 461 Times on 367 Posts
Likes Given: 17

If you turn the capper over, there are two vaguely U-shaped pieces of metal that grab the neck of the bottle. These can be removed and replaced in most models. Might check and make sure one or both of them haven't gotten loose.

"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

Old 12-02-2009, 04:17 AM   #8
Dougan
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I've done nearly 30 batches w/ my wing capper and have been pretty violent with it, with no problems yet. Maybe you just got unlucky.

"Traffic. If only it were as light as your beer" - Miller MGD 64 truck. A thought I have every day while driving in heavy traffic, downing light beers.

Search Recipes by Ingredients | Check out my brewing recipes!

Primary: Lagunitas IPA Clone
Kegged: German Pilsner, Clydesdale (Spotted Cow Clone)

Old 12-02-2009, 04:31 AM   #9
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 75 Posts

I brew 30-40 batches of beer a year...I started in 1994...I think I've ever ruined only 2 caps the entire time.

Hate to say it, but damaging caps is a good indicator that you're just not paying that much attention to the task. If it's "slanting to one side" then you are pushing it to that side.

After I bottle I place a cap on each bottle. I generally sits for a couple of minutes before I start crimping.

I usually line up 3-5 bottles in a line going away from me and crimp one after the other without any problems.

Start by trying to keep the first bottle about 6-8 inches from your center of gravity (stomache area) and press slowly down with both hands at the same time.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:02 AM   #10
wolfstar
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 106

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99 View Post
I brew 30-40 batches of beer a year...I started in 1994...I think I've ever ruined only 2 caps the entire time.

Hate to say it, but damaging caps is a good indicator that you're just not paying that much attention to the task. If it's "slanting to one side" then you are pushing it to that side.

After I bottle I place a cap on each bottle. I generally sits for a couple of minutes before I start crimping.

I usually line up 3-5 bottles in a line going away from me and crimp one after the other without any problems.

Start by trying to keep the first bottle about 6-8 inches from your center of gravity (stomache area) and press slowly down with both hands at the same time.
Ditto...mostly. I have bottled about a dozen batches with a "winger capper". No problems except for one broken bottle on the first batch. You need to apply EVEN pressure on both sides.

Having a homebrew or two (three) while breing is okay, having enough to be drunk might cause irregularities in the process....

Check out Hidden Valley Wolfdog Sanctuary on facebook.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Hidden-Valley-Wolfdog-Sanctuary/182770901746380

Working to save unwanted Wolfdogs from euthenasia, and educating the public about the joys and trials of Wolfdog and other exotic canid companionship.

Quick Reply