LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2011, 06:38 AM   #11
zepolmot
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokeater233 View Post

When does Yooper jump in about the title of this posting?
You know I actually thought the same thing but thought I'd let it slide...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-18-2011, 06:48 AM   #12
Fid
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by zepolmot View Post
Couldn't agree with you more, Nekro. Heres the one I picked up this fall: http://morebeer.com/view_product/159...231_-_Standard
Thanks for the morebeer link. Knew about the site just never got around to checking it out. $35 for a 5 gal SS brewpot... Not bad, might have to pick one of those up for my kitchen so we're not making turkey soup in my brew pot after Thanksgiving again next year.

Old 02-18-2011, 10:35 AM   #13
twheelz
Recipes 

Thanks for your service! I'm a former Marine, and yes - us servicemen do like to throw some back every now and then! I'm brewing 2 batches for my brother's 2-week R&R trip home from Afghanistan in April. I couldn't imagine a better cause to brew!

I started with a True Brew kit from my local home brew store. Amazon has this one, which is priced great considering it comes with a glass carboy:

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Equip...8028737&sr=8-1

I also used True Brew's kits for the first 3 batches - they came out great!

Good luck and thanks again for serving our country!

Old 02-18-2011, 11:32 AM   #14
billf2112
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I guess you are in housing and not the barracks, Thanks for your service. I am an Army Vet myself and had been known to partake in a brewed beverage here and there. Got a love for real beer while stationed in Germany.

Bill from Pa

On Deck: Irish Stout,
Primary: Pumpkin Ale
Secondary: Empty
Completed: Red, Wit and Blue, Irish Stout, Red Ale, German Style Amber Lager, All Grain Brews: Irish Red Ale, American Stout, Honey Weizen

Old 02-18-2011, 12:27 PM   #15
Hang Glider
Beer Drinker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 100

Welcome, and thanks for your service

There are a few women on this board, hence the questions about Yooper. She is on vacation, somewhere in Texas - so she's not on the board much these past weeks. She'll be back at it soon.

Nekro - many good sources here -
you'll want to look for an equipment kit, then pick up a beer kit in the style you want to make.

You don't have to buy both at the same place. You can find places around CA, or go online - google homebrew supply and many places will come up. Shop the equipment kits, shop the beer kits -- and buy what appeals to you. I'm on the eastern side of the continent, so I lean toward Northern Brewing and Brewmaster's Warehouse - both excellent companies.

Welcome to your new hobby. Do yourself a favor and read. Read. read. There are "sticky" threads at the top - read them. There are pages of Beginner threads. Read through several of them - you will gain an insight into temperature control, patience, yeast, etc -

And, what you can't find - ask away! we're all here for our love of beer, and while you're certain to get several answers that may even conflict, they will generally lead you to the path of better and better beer.

welcome!

Old 02-18-2011, 06:41 PM   #16
Nekro
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Thanks you guys very much. All post have been very helpful. I will take into consideration every ones input and do more research into find the perfect kit for me, so i can hopefully start brewing my first batch by the beginning of next month.
I have also seen this kit that looks pretty good, but i want to check the others people have recommended

http://www.monsterbrew.com/Prod_NewB...AutoSiphon.cfm

Last edited by Nekro; 02-18-2011 at 07:11 PM.

Old 02-18-2011, 06:58 PM   #17
Nekro
Recipes 

Also a quick question, I have seen some kits that has one or two fermentation buckets plus a glass carboy. Could you use either the bucket or carboy for fermentation? I would think using the carboy would be a bit easier to see the fermentation process, then transfer the brew into the bucket for bottling. Am I correct? Sorry for my ignorance, I am just trying to get all this information processed before I would start to brew and make things go a lot smoother.

Old 02-18-2011, 07:20 PM   #18
Rev2010
Recipes 

Liked 74 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 207

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbrookeiv View Post
You're likely to get much better quality ingredients from Midwest or MoreBeer than from a Cooper's can that's been sitting in Amazon's warehouse for God know's how long. Just my 2 cents.
The Cooper's kits are not sitting in Amazon's warehouse, they come directly from Cooper's USA store:

http://www.amazon.com/Coopers-Brewer...8060289&sr=8-1

I have two Cooper's kits and love them. Great way to get started and while the Cooper's can's and such aren't so hot you simply don't have to use them. You can brew any company's beer kits and your own recipe's with the Cooper's equipment.

Rev.

Old 02-18-2011, 07:44 PM   #19
Hang Glider
Beer Drinker
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 147 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nekro View Post
Also a quick question, I have seen some kits that has one or two fermentation buckets plus a glass carboy. Could you use either the bucket or carboy for fermentation? I would think using the carboy would be a bit easier to see the fermentation process, then transfer the brew into the bucket for bottling. Am I correct? Sorry for my ignorance, I am just trying to get all this information processed before I would start to brew and make things go a lot smoother.
any which way you want. no correct answer.
Some start in a carboy, transfer to bottling bucket. Some start in a bucket, secondary in a carboy, transfer to bottling bucket...

really doesn't matter. You kind of get used to your own method, and in this particular case, they are all correct. I did like watching the yeasties take off in my carboy, but since I've been better at temperature control - I don't get to watch it any more - pitch the yeast at 65, lock it up, throw away the key for 4 weeks -

so - yes, you should absolutely watch once or twice - and the carboy makes that fun, but eventually...

You can sit the carboy into a tub of water, thereby allowing a visual, while also helping to control temps (control the water-bath temp).

It's going to be great!

Old 02-18-2011, 08:23 PM   #20
Nekro
Recipes 

Alright cool, Iv been browsing kits and most of the ones im looking at have 2 buckets and a carboy. So ill just decide to primary ferment in a bucket or caboy when i get to that point. How long do you leave the the batch in the secondary after the 1st fermentation bucket

Quick Reply