hello fellow brewers!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ro39se

Reaction score
Hi everyone I am a H.B.Talk virgin so be gentle LOL! I have keg system and am after a D.A.B recipe I work with a heap of Germans at work and I wanted to impress them next time they come over. I have a book called great beers of the world book and they say to use a dortmunder export can kit but I don't know where to get this. Any tips guys?

I'd avoid anything that comes in a can. Go to one or more of the homebrew sites on line (morebeer.com; midwestsupplies.com; austinhomebrew.com; northernbrewer.com; etc) and take a look at their ingredient kits. I'm sure one of those sites will have an extract kit that fits the style you are going for.

DAB has two notable styles. The Dortmunder export, which is really just a combination of a Pilsner and Munich Helles. It is a lager beer, which is not a typical starting point for beginners (I don't know if you are a beginner or just new to HBT)
If you can't find a clone recipe, you could pretty easily modify a Munich helles to be a bit hoppier or a Pilsner to be a bit maltier. In either case, you would want to increase the mineral content of the water if you you were trying to impress ex Dortmunders with authentic taste.

The other style would be a Northern German Altbier. This an ale that is fairly malty and sweet with German noble hops. Alaskan brewery hits this pretty well and there is a clone recipe here.

Welcome to HBT!
I'm not familiar with that book so I'm afraid I can't help much. Dortmunder export is a pale lager. Do you have the ability to lager? Have you steeped grains with your recipes? We should be able to come up with a doable recipe.

I believe you might be able to produce nice dortmunder using a pilsner malt and noble hops. It will not be as light as if you did all grain but it should be tasty. I'm sorry to say that I don't have a recommendation for which canned kit to use. An unhopped pilsner maybe? I think that Noble hops would add a lot to the authenticity of the beer.

Let us know a little more about your brewing experience.

+1 on not using a can kit. They can often have an offtaste we call the "extract twang" I also second the idea of using one of the reputable merchents mentioned. I personally like the kit selection on morebeer.com

When I cook for my wife I rarely attempt to cook any of her authentic Filipino dishes becase there is a sentimentality tied up with her tastebuds where even if my attempt is better than the original she would still prefer the original. See what I'm saying? You might pull off a Dortmunder style Helles that would win awards from objective judges but will leave these folks less than enthused. I would do a crisp, fresh, hoppy APA or maybe an ESB for them. Say, see that is how we do it here. Just the fact that it is a homebrew will blow them away.

Back