Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Helles Bock with Safale US-05 Dry Yeast, Proper Fermentation Temp?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2010, 04:15 AM   #1
xinunix
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Helles Bock with Safale US-05 Dry Yeast, Proper Fermentation Temp?

I just finished brewing this Helles Bock recipe from my LHBS: What The Helles Bock. I went with the dry yeast which uses Safale US-05. It looks like the liquid yeast is WLP833 and ferments in the lager range (48-55 F). The recommended temp range for US-05 is 64-70 F, I am wondering if I should attempt to keep the temps on the very low end of the range to stay true to the style?

I have a fermentation chamber that will let me control the temps, wondering if I should target an ambient temperature around 58-60 or go the route I have gone with this yeast in other ales which is an ambient in the mid 60s and fermentation temp of approx 68?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2010, 04:21 AM   #2
Yuri_Rage
Gritty.
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 603 Times on 373 Posts
Likes Given: 54

You are correct in your assumptions, both that a lower temperature will result in a cleaner flavor, and that lowering the ambient temperature a few degrees below the desired fermentation temperature is a good idea. However, your beer will not be true to style regardless of the temperature if you use US-05 yeast. It will be an ale brewed from a bock kit. Most importantly, it will almost certainly still be good beer, but to brew a true bock, you must use lager yeast.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply