*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Hefeweizen/Weizenbock

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-26-2013, 08:23 PM   #1
ashrivers86
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Hefeweizen/Weizenbock

Hi everyone,

This is my first 5 gal. hefe. I have used the Mr Beer before to make pale ales and other beers. I am hoping to make a higher abv than usual hefe, like around 6.8% - 8%. I have all my supplies and I have a few questions.

I have two 16 oz. wheat extract packets and 1 lb. of pilsner. Normally when I brewed hefe's I just used a 50% mixture of both. However, the brew clerk at the LHBS said I should go with an extra unit of wheat extract and 1 extra packet of saf wb-06 and start using extra fermentables like honey and brown sugar to reach the abv I want.

I haven't done something like this before (extra yeast or extract), what should I do differently this time with these new additions?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2013, 10:00 PM   #2
Captain Damage
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 5

If it was me I'd use almost all wheat extract, which by the way is a blend of pure wheat and barley malt extracts. 8 lbs in a 5 gallon batch will get you to 6.9% ABV. Add a pound of honey and you get 8% ABV. Honey is a nice addition to a wheat beer, but I wouldn't use brown sugar for a wheat beer. Be sure to pitch plenty of healthy yeast.

Stop using so much caramel malt. Your beer will thank you.
(yes, Carapils is a caramel malt...so is Special B)

FERMENTING

BOTTLED
pujwI HIq Mild Ale
KPA Khitomer Pale Ale

Old 12-26-2013, 11:47 PM   #3
ashrivers86
Recipes 

Which stage would you recommend adding the honey. I've heard lots of different things.

Actio Non Verba

Old 12-27-2013, 12:16 AM   #4
Captain Damage
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

I'd probably wait until primary fermentation starts calming down or is done. Simple sugars make me a little nervous, so I tend to add them later. that said, most brewers would probably add it to the kettle at flameout with no issues.

FERMENTING

BOTTLED
pujwI HIq Mild Ale
KPA Khitomer Pale Ale

Old 12-27-2013, 12:12 PM   #5
ashrivers86
Recipes 

Cool thanks.

Actio Non Verba

Old 12-27-2013, 01:05 PM   #6
brewguyver
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 130 Times on 96 Posts
Likes Given: 11

If you add to the end of primary you may want to pasteurize the honey by heating it up with some wort - this will also make it flow easier as well. It's said that bugs don't live in honey that well, but I don't like to take unnecessary chances.

The downside is that you change the honey a bit, but if you're going for ABV, then it doesn't matter.

Brewguyver - the man who does everything wrong so you won't have to!

Old 12-27-2013, 01:47 PM   #7
ashrivers86
Recipes 

I have 5 ounces of priming sugar so I am going to go easy on the honey

Actio Non Verba

Old 12-28-2013, 06:29 PM   #8
ashrivers86
Recipes 

I have one last question. I think there might have been some starsan in my pot. I had let it dry overnight like the instructions said to and it was completely dry. However, my fermenter bucket still had some in it so I rinsed it out. Is there any way to tell if I did not remove all the starsan?

Actio Non Verba

Old 12-29-2013, 04:06 PM   #9
ashrivers86
Recipes 

Bubbles were coming out of the airlock so I guess everything is okay.

Actio Non Verba

Old 12-29-2013, 04:23 PM   #10
Captain Damage
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Quote:
I have one last question. I think there might have been some starsan in my pot. I had let it dry overnight like the instructions said to and it was completely dry. However, my fermenter bucket still had some in it so I rinsed it out. Is there any way to tell if I did not remove all the starsan?
Not sure what instructions you're refereing to. Star San only kills microbes when it is wet. Further, it is a no-rinse sanitizer - not a cleaner. This means that a) you shouldn't be using it to clean your pot - PBW, OxyClean Free or regular dish detergent are probably the best things for that; and b) you shouldn't rinse it out of your fermenting bucket.

You don't have to fill the bucket up to the top. Do a 1/4 oz Star San concentrate with 1-1/4 gallons of water. Use a spray bottle full of StarSan (at normal dilution) to thoroughly spray the bucket lid and the rim of the bucket. Put the lid on and shake. The Star San solution will foam up, coating every surface. Leave it like that, with the lid on until you're ready to transfer the wort to the bucket. Then remove the lid and dump out what ever Star San will come out - not all of it will, but that's okay. Transfer your wort into the bucket. Pitch your yeast and give the lid a few more sprays before sealing it up.

Star San is a pH based sanitizer, meaning it only kills microbes when it's at it's normal strength. The small amount left clinging to the sides of the bucket or in the foam in the bottom quickly gets diluted by the wort, so that it's no longer strong enough to kill your yeast (in fact the yeast can utilize the phosphorous it contains as a nutrient).

FERMENTING

BOTTLED
pujwI HIq Mild Ale
KPA Khitomer Pale Ale

Quick Reply