Hefeweizen Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

southsidebrewingco

Reaction score
All,

Today is as good as any for a brew day so while I'm in the mood here goes! Looking for thoughts on a Hefe.

Plans are....

6 pounds Muntons plain wheat DME
1oz Tettnang
Danstar Munich yeast

Half DME to start , full 60 hop boil and add the other half of the DME at the 30 minute mark.

Thoughts on this?? Last time I made a Hefe I used half DME And half LME thought I would change it up.

If it's a 5 gallon batch, I'd up the Dme to 7 or 8 pounds and maybe look into white labs 300 hefeweizen yeast.

The color doesn't bother me as much as it did on my first batch. I was scared that it would taste so heavy but have since learned that extract brews are generally a bit darker without affecting the taste. I love Hefe's and just want a simple good brew! I have always pitched dry yeast also but thought of Re hydrating to see if it makes a difference.

I missed the yeast. My favorite for Hefes is WY3068. Over pitch and ferment at 62° to 63° for clove over the banana flavor. Use a blow off tube with WY3068.

I actually thought about more DME but I figured 6 lbs would get me pretty close to the 4.75 to 5% abc range??? For those who missed yeast was Danstar Munich that I thought I might re hydrate just to see if there was a difference between pitching dry or wet

Highly suggest you consider getting a liquid hefeweizen yeast strain. The yeast is really what makes it a hefe. As the previous commenter noted, make sure you use a blowoff tube, as most quality hefeweizen yeasts are very vigorous. The first time I used mine, it blew the stopper right out of my carboy and left a nice mess on my walls and ceiling lol.

I actually thought about more DME but I figured 6 lbs would get me pretty close to the 4.75 to 5% abc range??? For those who missed yeast was Danstar Munich that I thought I might re hydrate just to see if there was a difference between pitching dry or wet

It will, but most hefeweizens tend to be closer to 6%. I'm drinking a my own Hefewiezen right now and used 8 pounds of Dme and it is IMHO perfect. I think if you only use 6 pounds it would taste a little bit watered down.

Each pound of DME will give you about .83% abv. Using 6 pounds will give about a 5% abv which is right where you want to be for a hefe.

If you want to keep the color light, you might want to move the 2nd DME addition to later in the boil. Your recipe looks great!

6 pounds will give you about 4.6% ABV. Rehydrating dry yeast will effectively double your pitch rate.
The yeast makes a Hefe. Munich yeast is giving you a wheat beer with traditional Hefe hops. Still tasty though.

It's been a learning process for the past 8 months. I like traditional but I also like simple good tasting beer!

I made a 5 gal batch of hefe about a month ago :
Boil 4 gal filtered water
6 lbs dme... 3 lbs at 30 min ... 3 lbs at 5 min
2 ml hop shot @ beginning of boil
Cooled wort to 70* f and topped to 5 gal with cold water
Added 10 drops FermCap S
Added WY 3068 starter, oxygenated with 02 and fermented in a 6 1/2 gal Big Mouth Bubbler.
Fermented at 65* and was never threatened with a blowoff.
Fermentation was complete in less than a week and then straight to the corny.
ABV was a little over 5% and tasted quite good.
Very easy brew:mug:

That sounds great might give that a try after this is bottled. One can never have enough beer in reserve!

Back