Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Hefeweizen bottling, milky substance in bottles?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2012, 08:04 PM   #1
TheHateCamel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 4

Default Hefeweizen bottling, milky substance in bottles?

Hey all, have a serious question about my second brew. Did a Bavarian Hefeweizen, cooked it up, and let it ferment in primary Ale Pail. Did not do secondary. On 10th day I bottled as the gravity had been the same for 3 days straight. I have kept the temperature at exactly 70 degrees the entire time of fermentation in primary. At no point during the pre-bottling did I ever notice any kind of milky substance in the wort/beer. I bottled and they have been fermenting in the basement, which is a slightly cooler temperature. I did a few in clear bottles to get a good look at how it's going, and checked them 3 or 4 days ago. I noticed a milky substance settled on the bottom of the bottles, and when tilted or tipped would drift into the beer making it very cloudy. If I look closely I can still see the milky stuff in the brown bottles I used, so I know it's not localized to just a certain set of my bottles. I have read that Hefeweizens should be cloudy, but I am concerned. Checked again today, which is exactly 7 days after bottling, and the milky substance has dissipated a little bit.

Is it possible this is the priming sugar settling at the bottom, as a result of not boiling the primer sugar in water long enough before adding to bottling bucket? Or is this an infection of some sort, possibly lacto? Or is this normal for Hefeweizens? Ingredients are as follows....And yes, I know, I should not and will not use Muntons Ale Yeast next time. I have already been informed

2 x 3.3lb Briess Bavarian Wheat Malt Extract
1 x 1oz. Tettnanger Hops, bittering
1 x 1oz. Hallertau Hops, finishing
1 x packet of Muntons Ale Yeast
1 x 5oz. priming sugar

PLEASE HELP!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2012, 08:18 PM   #2
menerdari
Recipes 

Liked 42 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 16

That is yeast, you will get a layer of sediment in the bottom of your bottles when you bottle condition any beer.

Old 10-11-2012, 09:16 PM   #3
TheHateCamel
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by menerdari View Post
That is yeast, you will get a layer of sediment in the bottom of your bottles when you bottle condition any beer.
I did not notice this on my last brew, which was an All Malt Pilsner. However, if you are correct, will my Hefeweizen be ready to drink at the standard 10 day period? Or if there is still this yeast in my bottles, should I wait for it to dissipate first before trying?

Old 10-11-2012, 09:20 PM   #4
menerdari
Recipes 

It should drop out, wait 10 days to 2 weeks and put a bottle in the fridge overnight,

Old 10-11-2012, 09:24 PM   #5
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2270 Times on 1976 Posts
Likes Given: 1703

Wheat beer yeast are typically low floculating. They make it cloudy. Sounds like it's just yeast settling out to me. All bottle conditioned beers will have it to one degree or other.

Old 10-11-2012, 09:27 PM   #6
TheHateCamel
Recipes 

Thanks a ton guys, that makes sense. I was starting to panic just wee bit there haha.

Is this normal for a Hefeweizen/wheat beer to let this yeast do its thing for so much longer? I was told the Hef has a bottle time of about 10 days on average. Is there anything I can do to speed this yeast dissipation up?

Old 10-11-2012, 09:31 PM   #7
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

Not really. It'll settle out faster in the bottles being under pressure in a closed environment.Usually a couple days after bottling for me,they settle out clear. Wheat beers shouldstay a little cloudy/misy. Just pour all but one inch into the glass,then swirl up the yeast in the bottom of the bottle & pour for that typical wheat beer look/taste.

Old 10-11-2012, 09:33 PM   #8
TheHateCamel
Recipes 

EXCELLENT....You guys rock. Thank you!

Old 10-11-2012, 09:39 PM   #9
menerdari
Recipes 

I have actually had store bought wheat beers that have decanting instructions on the bottle " leave about 1" in the bottle, swish it around and add to your glass to get the full flavor"

Old 10-11-2012, 09:49 PM   #10
unionrdr
Wannabe author

Recipes 

From my beer forum travels,that's the standard the world over.

Quick Reply