Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Hefeweizen

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2009, 02:28 PM   #1
woollybugger2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Hefeweizen

Just tested my first bottle of Hefeweizen, it's been in the bottle for a week, good carbonation, but I'm sure it'll get better in another week or two @ 68* I poured it slowly and was surprised how clear the beer was. It didn't have any yeast haze to it at all.

I dumped the rest of the bottle into the glass and now have the traditional hefeweizen cloudiness.

I thought that hefe's were suppose to remain cloudy and not settle out like mine has...

8 days in the primary
8 days in the seconday.
3 week in the bottle before the fishing trip

it's very drinkable, but has a disappointing 3.8 ~ 4.0% ABV was hoping for 4.8 but low og due to inefficient grain (mini-mash) procedure.

Not to worry thought I think that all 24 bombers will be consumed without complaint from my fishing buddies.....

This board has helped me tremendously! Kudos to all of you *expert* homebrewers!

--------------------

Bottled: Belgian Tripel, Hefeweizen
Secondary: Brown Ale
Primary: Empty
On Deck: Belgian Tripel, Smoked Porter

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2009, 02:40 PM   #2
grammatron
Recipes 

I think they still settle out a good bit, you're just encouraged to pour the yeast into the glass, whereas w/ other brews you're not. Even commercial hefes recommend pouring most, then swirling the rest to kick up the yeast before pouring it in.

Old 03-04-2009, 02:42 PM   #3
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

One thing that would have helped is not using a secondary for the hefe. It's not necessary and allows more yeast to settle. Swirling the bottle helps and a recent technique (at least that I've heard of) is to add a small amount of regular flour to a beer to keep it cloudy.

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 03-04-2009, 03:37 PM   #4
woollybugger2
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

That hefe was sooo good that I just had to try another. Is it wrong to enjoy your homebrew at 68*??? I find them to be very delightful and flavorful and very drinkable at this temperature.

Poured slowly!

Swirled gently and poured with gusto!

Old 03-04-2009, 05:05 PM   #5
syd138
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by woollybugger2 View Post
I poured it slowly and was surprised how clear the beer was. It didn't have any yeast haze to it at all.

I dumped the rest of the bottle into the glass and now have the traditional hefeweizen cloudiness.
What they do in Germany/Austria is to roll the bottle a bit, turn the bottle completely vertical and pour it in.

Old 03-04-2009, 05:14 PM   #6
woollybugger2
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by syd138 View Post
What they do in Germany/Austria is to roll the bottle a bit, turn the bottle completely vertical and pour it in.
yeah, I've seen that done with Hoegarden! Prost....but hard to do with a bomber bottle and a pint glass

This beer is, btw, most excellent, if I do say so myself!

Quick Reply