*Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway - Enter Now!*

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Hefe brewing differences...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-09-2009, 07:44 PM   #1
GLoBaLReBeL
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default Hefe brewing differences...

I am going to begin my 2nd batch of beer and decided on doing a Wheat beer. From what I've been reading, everyone is telling me to leave the beer in the primary for the fermentation and the conditioning, only bottling after the gravity has remained constant for 2 reading over 3 days. But, the only thing I feel is that if I do this, there will be to much cloudiness in the beer.
I have always though that it was a good idea to move the beer from the primary to get it away from the trub and all the extras at the top, into a secondary, and here I could cold shock it at 50F for a week and then rack it again into the bottling bucket and add the sugar and bottle.
I love wheat beers, I truly love frankenskoner (sp), and blue moon (yes, i know). I don't prefer the pyramid Hef's though, cause the flavor isn't as strong as i would like. I just want to make sure that this batch comes out tasty.

I'm using the Bavarian Wheat from NothernBrewery . .

Bavarian Hefe Weizen - Extract Kit

OG: 1049 / Ready: 6 weeks

Extremely popular in its homeland of southern Germany, Weizenbier (wheat beer) is now being enjoyed all over the world. Medium-bodied, refreshing, and tolerant of high fermentation temperatures, weizen is a fantastic summer brew. Northern Brewer's Hefe-Weizen is 100% traditional—cloudy, tart, a bit sour, with a phenolic and banana-clove character imparted by the yeast. To serve authentically, "mit hefe" (with yeast), pour almost all the beer into a tall glass, swirl the bottle, and add the rest.

Ingredients :
Ferms
6 lbs. Wheat Malt Syrup
1 lbs. Wheat Dry Malt Extract

Boil Additions
1 oz. Sterling (60 min)

Yeast
Wyeast #3333 German Wheat Yeast. Optimum temperature: 63-75° F.

Any input would be appreciated, as I truly want this to be a delicious beer!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2009, 07:55 PM   #2
undallas
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

It is a hefe... the yeast is the STAR player.
Just leave it in the primary for 2 weeks, rack it to bottling bucket and enjoy it after 2-3 weeks..
You may want to add more sugar to give you more carbonation to fit the style.

Happy Brewing

Last edited by undallas; 07-09-2009 at 07:58 PM.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:08 PM   #3
GLoBaLReBeL
Recipes 

With the kit that i am purchasing from this northernbrewry, do you think I should make a starter for the yeast? The last one that I did I didn't make a starter and it seemed to ferment fine. I have never made a starter, because I have always used ( I have done more then 1 batch, but by myself, I've only done 1 so far ) an aquarium pump with a aeration stone/whatever on the end, and have run it for about 25 minutes in the wort (at 75F) before pitching the yeast. (that has been sitting in the fridge; which I shake ever so gently first to get everything moving)

By the way this is liquid yeast. I've never purchased from them before, so I don't know how good (fresh) their yeast is, but I hear they are pretty good.

Old 07-09-2009, 08:22 PM   #4
pnh2atl
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

It seems like when I've used a starter it has started bubbling in just an hour or two. Everything I have read has said to little yeast is a bigger problem than to much yeast. I mix a cup of of DME and 4 cups of water that I've boiled and let cool to the right temp, I let it sit for 48 hours.

But I'm still pretty new at all this. I have a Belgian Wit in primary now and it is bubbling away. I had to replace the airlock with a tube and a growler.

Nick

Old 07-09-2009, 08:28 PM   #5
GLoBaLReBeL
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pnh2atl View Post
It seems like when I've used a starter it has started bubbling in just an hour or two. Everything I have read has said to little yeast is a bigger problem than to much yeast. I mix a cup of of DME and 4 cups of water that I've boiled and let cool to the right temp, I let it sit for 48 hours.

But I'm still pretty new at all this. I have a Belgian Wit in primary now and it is bubbling away. I had to replace the airlock with a tube and a growler.

Nick
Are you referring to the setup where you run a 1/2" ID tube from the top of the fermenter into a bucket of water to allow the blow-off to escape without allowing any air in? I figured I would be doing this as well, since wheats are usually pretty strong fermenters.

The one thing I don't get, is that the kit I'm getting only comes with 1 lbs of Wheat DRE, and taking a cup of the DME from this might not be so good for the wort when I begin brewing it. Should I buy some extra wheat DME?

Old 07-09-2009, 09:17 PM   #6
undallas
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

As for starter, It depends on the flavor profile that you want to achieve.
For banana flavor hefe, pitch small and ferment at 70s.
For clovey flavor hefe, pitch big and ferment at mid 60s.

The temperature will determine the amount of ester you produce in your beer.

Happy Brewing

Old 07-09-2009, 09:42 PM   #7
ifishsum
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

I make a small (2 cup) starter for my bavarian hefe, pitch and ferment at 67-68 for 2 weeks and bottle/keg it from there (no cold crash). Great banana esters without being over the top, and still a bit cloudy as it should be. It's usually fully carbonated and drinkable after 2 weeks in the bottle, presumably because of the large amount of yeast still in suspension. Delicious, very much like Franciskaner.

Primary 2: Edwort's Robust Porter
Secondary 1: LW Pale Ale
Secondary 1: Blackened Soul RIS
Kegged: Dead Guy Ale
Kegged: Rye Pale Ale
Kegged: Haus Pale Ale
Kegged: Nut Brown Ale
Kegged: Afrikan Amber
Kegged: Jock Scott Ale
Kegged: Afrikan Amber

Last edited by ifishsum; 07-09-2009 at 09:45 PM.

Old 07-10-2009, 04:06 PM   #8
GLoBaLReBeL
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ifishsum View Post
I make a small (2 cup) starter for my bavarian hefe, pitch and ferment at 67-68 for 2 weeks and bottle/keg it from there (no cold crash). Great banana esters without being over the top, and still a bit cloudy as it should be. It's usually fully carbonated and drinkable after 2 weeks in the bottle, presumably because of the large amount of yeast still in suspension. Delicious, very much like Franciskaner.
Do you add the sugar to the wort before bottling it? Or should I just bottle it direct after the 2-3 weeks? ( I would only move the wort to bottling after I had taken the SG readings 3 days in a row and they show consistent for those 3 days.) I'm only thinking of not adding sugar because how how much yeast will still be in the beer since leaving it in the primary for so long.

Old 07-10-2009, 04:25 PM   #9
MarsColonist
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

You need to have sugar to bottle carb.. if primary fermentation is done, you have no more sugars and hence no more CO2 development. Bottle without sugar and youll have flat beer in 2-3 weeks.

Cheers!
-------------------------------

"Luck is when opportunity meets preparation" - Seneca

Austin Zealots

Old 07-10-2009, 04:29 PM   #10
SevenFields
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLoBaLReBeL View Post
Do you add the sugar to the wort before bottling it? Or should I just bottle it direct after the 2-3 weeks? ( I would only move the wort to bottling after I had taken the SG readings 3 days in a row and they show consistent for those 3 days.) I'm only thinking of not adding sugar because how how much yeast will still be in the beer since leaving it in the primary for so long.
You add the sugar to your bottling bucket and rack on top of that.
If you dont use any sugar you wont have any carbonation.

Quick Reply