Hef questions..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Russonomics

Reaction score
So I made a Hef for my second batch, did everything exactly by the book and its almost been 48 hours and I'm still not seeing the type of active fermentation I did with my frist batch (a darker beer)

I know I should be patient but I just want some reassurance... did I get some skunk yeast? Could it take longer? and is there anything I can do to remedy this?

Thanks a lot guys,
Russo

Hey Russo welcome

What yeast did you use dry or liquid? What temp do you have your fermenter at? Is there krausen or "foam" on top of the wort? All grain or Extract? RDWHAHB!

Hey Russo welcome

What yeast did you use dry or liquid? What temp do you have your fermenter at? Is there krausen or "foam" on top of the wort? All grain or Extract? RDWHAHB!

It's a liquid (my first batch I did dry and a starter) Right now the fermenter is at 71 and at at pitch it was 72.3 ... Yes to the foam (just checked and that made me feel much better, I was sortve not trying to open it because Im a chicken **** with all this germ stuff I read) and Extract

If it's foaming then it's fine. Give it at least a week from when you pitched and then take a hydrometer reading if you have one. RDWHAHB etc :mug:

Germs are not deadly assassins or ninjas as Revvy likes to call them you can open your fermenter to give your beer a looksee. Remember beer was fermented in open topped containers back in day...I'm sure there are some people on HBT that were around when that was the rage.

Germs are not deadly assassins or ninjas as Revvy likes to call them you can open your fermenter to give your beer a looksee. Remember beer was fermented in open topped containers back in day...I'm sure there are some people on HBT that were around when that was the rage.

haha thanks.. Im a restaurant guy so when something says be super careful with germs, Im treating it like aids.

haha thanks.. Im a restaurant guy so when something says be super careful with germs, Im treating it like aids.

LOL. It's good to be on the safe side for sure. You don't want to spend 6 weeks brewing, fermenting and bottling a beer only to find it sucked. But like he said taking a peek isn't going to hurt. In fact that might be the safest time to do it. With the yeast going crazy they are going to outnumber any dust that gets in there a billion to 1.

LOL. It's good to be on the safe side for sure. You don't want to spend 6 weeks brewing, fermenting and bottling a beer only to find it sucked. But like he said taking a peek isn't going to hurt. In fact that might be the safest time to do it. With the yeast going crazy they are going to outnumber any dust that gets in there a billion to 1.

Oddly enough right after I checked it and closed the lid back up it started going nuts in the bubbler... (maybe me hitting it with a rubber mallet helped too hahaha)

hopefully you have a blow off tube. hefs usually end up going nuts.

Back