New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Heavy beer tastes awful

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2010, 04:38 PM   #1
Rafae
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Heavy beer tastes awful

I recently brewed a PranQster clone from extract. This was my first time brewing a heavy beer and I messed up a couple of steps. I'm looking for advice on what i should do differently for the next heavy beer and if this one is salvageable.

First, my OG was 1.11 and I pitched two vials of yeast without any starter. I left it in the primary for 20 days and then bottled with a FG of 1.22. It's been in the bottle for about 3 weeks and has a strong banana flavor (this is a Belgian strong ale) which i believe will subside with time. It also has a fairly harsh alcoholic flavor. I'm wondering if this alcoholic flavor will also subside or if leaving this in a secondary for a month would have been the way to go.

Hope this batch turns out. Thanks for the advice.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-07-2010, 04:46 PM   #2
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 386 Times on 312 Posts
Likes Given: 38

There is no way the OG was 1.11 unless you did something incredibly wrong. The OG should be more like 1.070 so far as I can tell. Do you have a full 5 gallons of beer?

Conditioning should help smooth out the flavors. When I make any of the strong Belgians I will generally let them condition for at an additional month before I even try them.

Old 06-07-2010, 04:47 PM   #3
Daparish
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Did you notice at which temperatures the beer fermented? Banana flavors (esters) can be a result of high temperature fermentation, as can hot or solvent like flavors (fusel alcohols). If you hadn't already bottled, I would've recommended keeping it on the year cake for 2 more weeks, to give the yeast some time to break down some of those by-products.

Also, I assume you meant your FG was 1.022, down from 1.110? If you were using a recipe, what did it call for the FG to be? With a high OG, finishing at 1.022 seems about right.

Old 06-07-2010, 05:05 PM   #4
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1658 Times on 1204 Posts
Likes Given: 941

20 days seems like a short time for the fermenter on a beer this strong. I would maybe have racked to secondary and let it sit for another 1-2 months before bottling. The FG doesn't seem too far off for a 1.11 beer.

As far as the banana aroma, I think this comes from certain yeasts at higher fermentation temps. Not sure if this will fade out over time or not. The alcohol flavor could be that as well, or just a young big beer. May people espouse aging a beer that big, to make the alcohol heat reduce.

Today I look right down, right down to the ground, there's nothing in between to break by fall. I'm blue for you, and I don't know what to do.

Old 06-07-2010, 05:12 PM   #5
Rafae
Recipes 

Yes I mean a FG of 1.022. The recipe said the OG should be around 1.079 but I added a AHS alcohol boost to get it up to 1.11. It fermented between 61-67 degrees. Next time i will leave it in the Primary for another month. How much time in the bottle do you think it will take to reduce the esters and alcohol flavors?

Old 06-07-2010, 05:27 PM   #6
BeerJorge
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

An OG of 1.011 is ok, but 2 vials of yeast is not nearly enough... you should have used double the amount without a starter...

The esters in your case are mostly due to the low pitching rate not so much time, so you won't really be able to clean up most of it although it will reduce somewhat with time...

I have no idea what AHS is? but it has to be some sort of fermentable sugar in which case I'm surprised you got a FG of 1.022... nothing wrong with adding more fermentables to kick up the alcohol, but you may have just overdone it...

all I can say is give it time and see if it improves... (lesson learned)

Old 06-07-2010, 05:32 PM   #7
Soperbrew
Who rated my beer?

Recipes 

Liked 63 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 10

My big beers taste like crap until they are at least 2 months old in the keg.

Old 06-07-2010, 05:38 PM   #8
Grinder12000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I had a big beer that did not start to taste GOOD for 1 year! LOL Now after 1.5 years it's pretty damn good! I have found that big beers need a LONG time to develop.

BTW - 1.022 as a FG is amazing!

Grinders Island Brewery - Pipeline

Bottled! Award winning East India Porter, Oatmeal Stout, Milk Stout, Saison fermenting at 85 degrees as I type.

Old 06-07-2010, 06:40 PM   #9
weirdboy
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 386 Times on 312 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerJorge View Post
An OG of 1.011 is ok
Not for a Pranqster clone, it isn't. That beer is only 7.6% ABV, and 1.11 is way too high.

Old 06-07-2010, 06:50 PM   #10
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 1658 Times on 1204 Posts
Likes Given: 941

Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdboy View Post
Not for a Pranqster clone, it isn't. That beer is only 7.6% ABV, and 1.11 is way too high.
+1. The booster was completely unnecessary and probably threw the beer way out of the clone area. But that doesn't mean that in a few months it won't become a very decent beer.

Today I look right down, right down to the ground, there's nothing in between to break by fall. I'm blue for you, and I don't know what to do.

Quick Reply