Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Heatstick/Burner/Bucket Heater

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-22-2008, 07:19 AM   #1
FreakinA
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Heatstick/Burner/Bucket Heater

Ok so I searched for things like this before posting, but didn't really find all that much. I live in an apartment and cannot do any sort of turkey frying action(which I would loooove to). I would like to try to do AG brewing, but the big thing holding me back is the fact that I dont think my stove could handle a 5 gallon boil. (it had lots trouble with a 2ish gallon boil with the lid off). I am contemplating having my dad whip up a heatstick for me to use, but would feel alot safer using a store-bought bucket heating to get the 5 gallons going. Some of the posts I searched for in regards to bucket heaters at 1000w say it is useless and cant get anything to boil, while others recomend using 2 simultaneously. My question is, if I turn my stove to high, and use a bucket heater, do you think I could get my water to a full 5 gallon boil? Would that even be safe to have both working at once? I dont want to get all the stuff and get all my AG hopes up and have them crushed when I cant even achieve a boil. Also, I would be fine buying 2 bucket heaters and using them in conjunction to my stove if that is what must be done, I just want to play with the grains.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-22-2008, 10:22 AM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

There's almost no info anywhere on heatsticks, I keep looking...I'm in the same boat as you living in a loft, although I bought a turkey fryer on closeout figuring I can use it a friend's places and at events like teach a neighbor to homebrew on Nov 1

But here's some info on heatsticks

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/heat-sticks-9919/

Heatstick (this is an outside site)

another option for full volume boils is this....http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/impr...tovetop-53683/

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 10-22-2008, 02:37 PM   #3
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I built mine following this guy's lead:

Cedar Creek Brewing Company - Homebrewing Electric Heatstick

I used JB weld to attach the heating element to the drain pipe cap, used liquid electrical tape to seal every connection in case of a leak, and then sealed everything up well with silicone. It's about time to peel off the silicone and re-apply it after using it for about 10 batches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 10-22-2008, 02:47 PM   #4
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2733 Times on 1640 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saccharomyces View Post
I built mine following this guy's lead:

Cedar Creek Brewing Company - Homebrewing Electric Heatstick

I used JB weld to attach the heating element to the drain pipe cap, used liquid electrical tape to seal every connection in case of a leak, and then sealed everything up well with silicone. It's about time to peel off the silicone and re-apply it after using it for about 10 batches.

Ur post is teh sux witout pictoors....

I'm curious about these things, we were talking about them at my lhbs saturday....but I'm a little scared of them...I'd like to see what you got.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Quick Reply