heating grains before mash?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewski08

Reaction score
so i'm pretty awful at hitting my temperatures when mashing, so i was thinking about heating my grains by adding them to a dry vessel and placing them in heated water roughly around 154 F. i would intend on heating them without them being in contact with water to as close to my desired mash temperature as possible

any reason this wouldn't work?

It might, but it sounds like a lot of extra work. Are you using brewing software of any kind? Beersmith is pretty accurate and I think you can also get other software for free if you're on a budget.

yeah there are a lot of free mash calculators online that account for grain temperatures. They have been accurate for me.

If those calculators the previous posters suggested still don't work for you, you can use your boil kettle to mash in. Being able to direct-fire your mash tun allows you to easily hit your desired temperature. If you don't have a screen or false bottom in your kettle, just pour the whole mess into your cooler mash tun after 60' for lautering and sparging. I frequently do this when I step mash or do a hybrid step-decoction mash, and never had any problems.

If those calculators the previous posters suggested still don't work for you, you can use your boil kettle to mash in. Being able to direct-fire your mash tun allows you to easily hit your desired temperature. If you don't have a screen or false bottom in your kettle, just pour the whole mess into your cooler mash tun after 60' for lautering and sparging. I frequently do this when I step mash or do a hybrid step-decoction mash, and never had any problems.

this is an excellent idea; i'm very glad you mentioned this.

how do you place the grains into your kettle? do you just dump them in? if so, do they ever burn? i have an aluminum 8 gallon kettle with no ball valve.

Back