Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > heating grains before mash?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2012, 12:02 PM   #1
brewski08
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default heating grains before mash?

so i'm pretty awful at hitting my temperatures when mashing, so i was thinking about heating my grains by adding them to a dry vessel and placing them in heated water roughly around 154 F. i would intend on heating them without them being in contact with water to as close to my desired mash temperature as possible

any reason this wouldn't work?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-20-2012, 12:07 PM   #2
drkaeppel
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 141

It might, but it sounds like a lot of extra work. Are you using brewing software of any kind? Beersmith is pretty accurate and I think you can also get other software for free if you're on a budget.

-Dave

"Give a man a beer, he'll drink for the day.Teach a man to brew, he'll be drunk the rest of his life." -Anonymous

Old 02-20-2012, 12:17 PM   #3
BradleyBrew
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 84 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 16

yeah there are a lot of free mash calculators online that account for grain temperatures. They have been accurate for me.

Old 02-20-2012, 12:46 PM   #4
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 11

If those calculators the previous posters suggested still don't work for you, you can use your boil kettle to mash in. Being able to direct-fire your mash tun allows you to easily hit your desired temperature. If you don't have a screen or false bottom in your kettle, just pour the whole mess into your cooler mash tun after 60' for lautering and sparging. I frequently do this when I step mash or do a hybrid step-decoction mash, and never had any problems.

Secondary: Orange Blossom Mead, Flanders Red I
Kegged: Fat Man Porter w/ 1469, Fat Man Porter w/ 005, Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong
Bottled: Flanders Red I

Old 02-20-2012, 12:54 PM   #5
brewski08
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcaneXor View Post
If those calculators the previous posters suggested still don't work for you, you can use your boil kettle to mash in. Being able to direct-fire your mash tun allows you to easily hit your desired temperature. If you don't have a screen or false bottom in your kettle, just pour the whole mess into your cooler mash tun after 60' for lautering and sparging. I frequently do this when I step mash or do a hybrid step-decoction mash, and never had any problems.
this is an excellent idea; i'm very glad you mentioned this.

how do you place the grains into your kettle? do you just dump them in? if so, do they ever burn? i have an aluminum 8 gallon kettle with no ball valve.

Quick Reply