The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Heat Source

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2012, 03:08 AM   #1
nparish
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Heat Source

Has anyone used an induction cooktop for brewing?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2012, 08:28 PM   #2
TimpanogosSlim
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 67 Posts
Likes Given: 5

there's probably no reason why it couldn't work. However, it takes a lot of heat to boil 6 gallons of water, so you will need a fairly high wattage unit, just as if you were brewing on a regular electric stove.

Also keep in mind that the cheaper stainless kettles probably don't work well on induction cooktops. Induction cooktops work by inducing electromagnetic fields into magnetic metal, and it helps to have a lot of that metal. If a magnet doesn't stick firmly to the bottom of your kettle, you probably won't get past a simmer - some stainless steel is not particularly magnetic. You'd want one of the ritzier thick bottom kettles as well, for best efficiency.

Old 08-11-2012, 10:16 PM   #3
plapczynski
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

I tried that when canning with about four gallons of water an it was tough to keep a boil I would imagine brewing would be worse since you are maintaining a certain temp. The ceiling fans an ac affected ours.

Just try it with water as a dry run. I was also scared of all that weight on the stove and cracking it.

I ended up getting a propane burner.

Quick Reply