New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Healthy fermentation? First brew of all time!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2013, 04:19 PM   #1
Devon2576
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Healthy fermentation? First brew of all time!

I researched brewing and quickly was enthused by it. First batch of caribou slobber with a deluxe kit from northern brewer. Does this look like a healthy fermentation? Not even 24 hours in and a lot of krausen is in there and the blowoff is bubbling a bucket nonstop.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-16-2013, 04:21 PM   #2
Devon2576
Recipes 

Heres a picture

Old 02-16-2013, 04:25 PM   #3
Komocabo
Recipes 

Liked 57 Times on 51 Posts

Yep, that is happy yeast from your description. What kind of yeast did you use? Dry? Liquid? What brand and what strain, etc. I always use Wyeast (liquid). Have similar activity between 12-24 hours and it goes for a day or two like that. Making starters is a good practice (though I have been lazyabout that recently)... Usually see activity within 12 hours with a starter. Welcome to the forum and the hobby. You will soon have a huge investment and great beer from your keg

And on the eighth day he said "Make beer!"

Old 02-16-2013, 04:26 PM   #4
flars
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 243 Times on 223 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Very healthy looking. What is your wort temperature?

Old 02-16-2013, 04:26 PM   #5
sabo38
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My Caribou Slobber I did 3 weeks ago looked exactly like that. It blew my airlock off so I used a blowoff tube like you are doing. What temp are you seeing?

Old 02-16-2013, 04:27 PM   #6
Komocabo
Recipes 

Oh and keep that covered! Light will ruin beer. I cut a little hole in a pillow case ant toss it over the carboy. Also, best to keep in a place that has a constant temp that doesnt fluctuate very much...if thats even a possibility for ya. Definately cover it up though

Old 02-16-2013, 04:28 PM   #7
sabo38
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Oh yeah, have fun cleaning all that krausen and hops out of your carboy. I now strain my wort when adding it to my carboy.

Old 02-16-2013, 04:36 PM   #8
Komocabo
Recipes 

Definately strain your wort unless they recipe/style calls for it.

Hint for cleaning: rinse out the fermenter a few times then fill it to the brim with soapy water. Let it sit overnight and.it should easily remove when using the carboy brush.

Old 02-16-2013, 04:39 PM   #9
Devon2576
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komocabo View Post
Yep, that is happy yeast from your description. What kind of yeast did you use? Dry? Liquid? What brand and what strain, etc. I always use Wyeast (liquid). Have similar activity between 12-24 hours and it goes for a day or two like that. Making starters is a good practice (though I have been lazyabout that recently)... Usually see activity within 12 hours with a starter. Welcome to the forum and the hobby. You will soon have a huge investment and great beer from your keg
Its dry. Its danstar windsor ale yeast. Its probably around 70-74 degrees is that way too hot? I heard of a method of wetting a tub under the carboy and wrap a towel around it and put a fan on it.

Old 02-16-2013, 04:40 PM   #10
Devon2576
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Komocabo View Post
Oh and keep that covered! Light will ruin beer. I cut a little hole in a pillow case ant toss it over the carboy. Also, best to keep in a place that has a constant temp that doesnt fluctuate very much...if thats even a possibility for ya. Definately cover it up though
Awesome tip. It stays relatively dark. It stays under my desk and i pushed my bed up and closed it in but i think i will do the pillow case trick to be more on the safe side. Thanks for the nice tip!

Quick Reply