Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Headspace in Secondary Carboy

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2009, 03:41 AM   #1
jescholler
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Headspace in Secondary Carboy

Hi,

I just brewed my 1st batch (5 gal.) last weekend and I'm close to transferring to my 5 gallon better bottle for the secondary. My question is, how much headspace should I leave at the top of the carboy?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2009, 03:47 AM   #2
brewmasterpa
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

as long as you finished off fermentation in your primary, you shouldnt really need any but just a couple inches should be sufficient. i just racked a belgian wit into my carboy after 14 days in the primay, completed fermentation, and i filled it to within 1/2 inch of the bung and its been fine.

ill keep my money, guns, freedom, and religion......you can keep the change.

You like fishsticks, what are you, a gay fish?

Old 03-25-2009, 04:02 AM   #3
nallanrex
Recipes 

I fill to about 2 inch below the bung with cool water and have never had a problem. I would say you can put 2in or 1/2in below the bung and everything will be good.

-Nick

"I live and breathe beer. I stopped breathing oxygen back in '95." - Trev

Old 03-25-2009, 04:02 AM   #4
TacoGuthrie
Recipes 

The other side of this question is how much is too much headspace? I racked a 5 gal (barely) to a 6+gal carboy. There is a lot of space in there. Do I need to be concerned about that?

Old 03-25-2009, 04:24 AM   #5
nallanrex
Recipes 

For a primary its not to much head space. For a secondary I'm not to sure.

I usually only need to add about 2 litres or less of water to my carboy to make it within 2 inch. If you airlock is showing positive pressure you might be okay.

-Nick

"I live and breathe beer. I stopped breathing oxygen back in '95." - Trev

Old 03-25-2009, 05:17 AM   #6
homebrewjapan
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

> The other side of this question is how much is too much headspace? I racked a 5 gal (barely) to a 6+gal carboy. There is a lot of space in there. Do I need to be concerned about that?

This is something I'm concerned about also.

I want to get a new bucket and use my current primary as a secondary. How to brew says:

Quote:
It is important to minimize the amount of headspace in the secondary fermentor to minimize the exposure to oxygen until the headspace can be purged by the still-fermenting beer. For this reason, plastic buckets do not make good secondary fermentors unless the beer is transferred just as the primary phase is starting to slow and is still bubbling steadily. Five gallon glass carboys make the best secondary fermentors. Plastic carboys do not work well because they are too oxygen permeable, causing staling.

How to Brew - By John Palmer - Using Secondary Fermentors
That is putting me off using my current 25L plastic bucket primary as a secondary because it will be max 80% full and is plastic. Should I really be concerned about this - size/plastic?

Recommended Japan resources:
Homebrewing in Japan
Craft beer in Japan

Old 03-25-2009, 05:27 AM   #7
SumnerH
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 5

PET or thick HDPE (as in a bucket) is fine as far as normal secondaries (less than 6 months, perhaps longer) go. Shape is more of a concern but if you're only doing a couple of weeks you'll probably be fine--the beer releases trapped CO2 that forms a layer over it. A carboy shape with minimal headspace is ideal.

On deck: Little Bo Pils, Bretta Off Dead (Brett pale)
Secondary: Oude Bruin, Red Sky at Morning (Sour brown ale)
On tap: Saison Duphunk (sour), Amarillo Slim (IPA), Earl White (ginger/bergamot wit)
Bottled: Number 8 (Belgian Strong Dark Ale), Eternale (Barleywine), Ancho Villa (Ancho/pasilla/chocolate/cinnamon RIS), Oak smoked porter (1/2 maple bourbon oaked, 1/2 apple brandy oaked)

Old 03-25-2009, 12:04 PM   #8
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4378 Times on 3185 Posts
Likes Given: 853

Some headspace in the carboy is ok. I would never add water to completed beer, regardless of headspace. You're watering down the beer, as well as introducing oxygen into the beer (dissolved into the water) and also causing some splashing. Adding water at this point would introduce more oxygen into the beer than simply leaving a little headspace.

I've never used a 6 gallon carboy for secondary, but I am sure it'll be fine at least short- term, since the act of racking it "knocks" some co2 out of solution. If you've ever noticed the airlock bubbling after racking, that's whats happening. The co2 will displace the oxygen, and the beer will be fine.

For long term aging, though, I'd make sure there was very little headspace. By long term, I mean more than about 6 weeks.

Old 03-25-2009, 12:39 PM   #9
syd138
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoGuthrie View Post
The other side of this question is how much is too much headspace? I racked a 5 gal (barely) to a 6+gal carboy. There is a lot of space in there. Do I need to be concerned about that?
I only use 6 gallon carboys.. for my primary and secondary.. Ive done about 10+ batches now and none have been bad.

The CO2 will take up the space in there.

Old 03-25-2009, 02:37 PM   #10
brewmasterpa
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

i have a 6.5 gallon carboy that i use on 5-gallon batches of FRUIT BEER ONLY. this is because i add the fruit to the secondary carboy and the fermentation of it begins. this will knock oxygen out of the headspace within a couple hours. but for everything else, i keep the 5-gallon carboy loaded as full as it'll go. of course, thats only if fermentation is complete, cuz i hate cleaning up crusty kraussen goodies left all over the place.

ill keep my money, guns, freedom, and religion......you can keep the change.

You like fishsticks, what are you, a gay fish?

Quick Reply