Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Headspace in FastFermenter: problem?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-02-2014, 03:54 PM   #1
GillesF
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

Default Headspace in FastFermenter: problem?

Hi all

First of all I'd like to introduce myself. I'm Gilles, I live in Antwerp, Belgium. I love beer ever since I was in college. I'm especially a fan of the trappist beers and darker beers, although a refreshing tripel is very nice too.

Although there's plenty of beer to buy and taste in Belgium, I've decided to brew my own beer at home. Just for fun and out of interest, to know more about the mysteries to turn grain into beer ;-)

Anyway. I use the brew-in-a-bag technique and I brew batches of 5 liters (1,5 gallons) for myself. I'm interested in the FastFermenter because of it's ease of use. However: the Fastfermenter contains about 20 to 25 liters (5 to 6 gallons) which is A LOT more than what I brew.

Will this headspace create problems with oxidation? How can I avoid this, besides brewing bigger batches?

Thanks

Gilles

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-03-2014, 01:11 PM   #2
JR_Brewer
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 72

While it's not ideal, it should be ok for primary fermentation. Do not try to secondary with that much headspace, that's where you'll run into significant oxidation issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GillesF View Post
... although a refreshing tripel is very nice too.
Haha, only in Belgium would people refer to a tripel as "refreshing!" We're all jealous of how close you are to the wonderful Trappist breweries!

Happy Brewing!

Planned - GP/Mosaic SMaSH
Fermenting - Ned's Red (Flanders Red Ale), Saison Graf, Tangerine Mead
Bottled - Belgian Tripel, Belgo Graf, Saison (split batch with brett), Black 13 (Graf Porter), Old Style Amer. Cream Ale, Amber Graf, Wheat Graf, Bannockburn Wee Heavy, Berry Mead

Old 12-03-2014, 01:14 PM   #3
Hello
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 18 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1754 Times on 1242 Posts
Likes Given: 2949

Headspace in primary is not an issue. For long term aging, especially in primary (which I don't do personally) you'll want to get rid of the headspace. People have told me to sanitize marbles and dump them into the fermenter. My recommendation would be to use a secondary vessel that is smaller if you're planning on leaving the beer to bulk age.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Old 12-03-2014, 07:33 PM   #4
djfriesen
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hello View Post
Headspace in primary is not an issue. For long term aging, especially in primary (which I don't do personally) you'll want to get rid of the headspace. People have told me to sanitize marbles and dump them into the fermenter. My recommendation would be to use a secondary vessel that is smaller if you're planning on leaving the beer to bulk age.
That marble idea is awesome! I haven't heard that one yet.

Old 12-05-2014, 12:20 PM   #5
mrgrimm101
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 48

I'd say buy a smaller primary. Those FastFermentors seem great for 5 gallon batches, but they are a bit pricey and kind of an overkill if you are only doing 1.5 gallon batches.

"Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of grains that could've become beer, but didn't." - Walter Thornburgh
-----------------------------------------------
Add me on Untappd. Username: Goreface

Quick Reply