Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Headspace in 5 gallon carboy for 5 gal batch

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2010, 06:30 PM   #1
jangelj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 19

Default Headspace in 5 gallon carboy for 5 gal batch

I only have 5 gal. carboys. i make 5 gal batches. when i make a 5 gal extract batch, I boil ~3 gal, cool, put in carboy, then top off with cool, clean water. I just top off to within about 2-3 inches of the neck of the carboy. I want to get as much beer as possible.

Is this bad? It does not leave much headspace, I just use a blowoff tube into a half full gallon jug. after fermentation, there is a lot of "stuff" in the jug.

I guess my question is if the krausen is blowing through the tube into the jug, is that effecting my final product? (or, is too little headspace bad for the beer?)

sorry, no pics, but for reference, I have about half as much headspace as this person

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-15-2010, 07:01 PM   #2
GroosBrewz
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 9

You should be fine.. During blowoff (I use the same set-up) you are gonna lose some beer, depending on the degree of fermentation. During my most active fermentations, I never lost more than half a gallon.. And it's usually less than a 1/4 gallon.

Tap 1- JubelAle Clone
Tap 2- Evening Bite Pale Ale
Tap 3- Twilight Clone
Tap 4- Dicks Danger Ale Clone

"Today I felt like burning some calories....So I found a fat kid and set him on fire"

Old 05-15-2010, 07:04 PM   #3
pcollins
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 36

I wouldn't worry about it. I get it all the time. You'll have some loss of volume due to the beer passing through the blow off tube but as long as you keep an eye on the water/beer in the blow off container so THAT doesn't overflow, you'll be fine.

Old 05-15-2010, 07:20 PM   #4
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4342 Times on 3157 Posts
Likes Given: 845

As the others said, you're fine. My preference is to use a bigger primary, and a simple airlock, and since I have tons of headspace, I never get a blow off at all. It's fine either way, so don't worry about it!

Old 05-15-2010, 07:20 PM   #5
jangelj
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

that's what I figured. I just wanted to make sure whatever is blown out (krausen? yeast?) wasn't CRITICAL to my beer.

BTW, Groo, nice avatar. Haven't seen Groo in a LONGGGGG time.

Old 05-15-2010, 07:22 PM   #6
jangelj
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

are you calling me slow of mind?

Quick Reply