Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > heading to the brew shop, need a quick answer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2011, 09:23 PM   #11
the_bird
10th-Level Beer Nerd
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 392 Times on 325 Posts
Likes Given: 105

My understanding of acid malt being used at that quantity is that it's often used to help with the mash pH, moreso than necessarily trying to add an acidic quality to the beer's flavor profile. That's my understanding of where acid malt originated; German brewers needed a way to adjust mash pH without adding any chemicals directly (Reinheitsgebot). That's how I've used it; I have crappy efficiency, I *think* because of pH so I've played around with adding a little acid malt.

"I'm kind of toasted. But I looked at my watch and it's only 6:30 so I can't stop drinking yet." - Yooper's Bob
"Brown eye finally recovered after the abuse it endured in Ptown last weekend, but it took almost a full week." - Paulie
"no, he just doesn't speak 'stupid'. i, however, am fluent...." - motobrewer
"... I'll go both ways." - Melana

That'll do, Pigley. That'll do.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply