Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Head but no carbonation - kegging

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-28-2009, 01:05 AM   #1
shoemaker27
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Head but no carbonation - kegging

So I'm pretty sure I know the answer to this but figured I would check here. The head on my beer is large but there is little to no carbonation in my beer.

I kegged my beer, put it to 20 psi 3 times and let the pressure out each time. Then put the kegs in my fridge overnight at 15 psi. About 24 hours later, I set the kegs to 30 psi and rolled them on the ground for 10 mins, let the pressure out. Let them sit for about 1 and a half hours and tested it....large head with little carbonation.

My question....should I let the beer sit at about 15 psi for awhile for the CO2 to work itself in to fully carbonate? Thanks for the help!

Christian

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-28-2009, 01:48 AM   #2
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1056 Times on 704 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Your attempt at "burst carbing" was a little hap hazard but I'm going to assume you got some CO2 dissolve there. I'm guessing this is a dispensing issue more than anything. Do you have at least 6 feet of 3/16" ID tubing on there?

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Old 07-28-2009, 02:00 AM   #3
shoemaker27
Recipes 

Yes I do....What should be my next move? What should I set my psi for and for how long?

Old 07-28-2009, 02:16 AM   #4
dontman
Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Try serving it at 8 maybe 10 psi. You very well could be agitating the carb out in dispensing. How much hose do you have? If not 10' or more you might want to get epoxy stir rods to add resistance.

For set and forget pressure I would put it at 12 and let it go.

I am curious why you keep releasing the pressure when your force carbing. That co2 is supposed to get dissolved into solution.

Then again I haven't been happy with any burst carbing I've done either. The only way I'm ever happy is with set and forget for at least 2, usually 3 weeks.

On Tap: 1. Kelly R. IPA, 2. Roter Hund Hefeweizen, 3. Bud Killer Blonde, 4. Red Dog Pale, 5. Roter Hund Oktoberfest, 6. Pumpkin Ale, 7. McRed's Stout (with new nitro system and stout tap,) Cream Soda, 8. ESB # 3, & 9. Ordinary Bitter.

Old 07-28-2009, 02:32 AM   #5
jerryodom
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Is this a situation where all the pressure is still in the keg so you pour a glass that is 90%+ head so when the head dissipates it tastes somewhat carbonated but doesn't appear to have any bubbles coming up? If you've carbonated your beer and you're sure it should be carbonated try dropping the carbonation to something like 5psi and pouring a glass.

I don't force carbonate. I prime a keg and let it carbonate. After a couple of weeks the beer comes rushing in to the glass as described above. I let it sit 3-5 minutes and taste/look at it. No bubbles coming up through the beer and it tastes a little flat. I release the pressure down to serving pressure and pour a perfect glass with great bubbles and the carbonation tastes right. Maybe someone with a little more experience than I can explain why that is?

I just read dontmans post again. I vote agitating carbonation out.

I brew beer in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. Read more about it on my blog: Bayou Beer.

Reason: I just read dontmans post again.

Old 07-28-2009, 03:02 PM   #6
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1056 Times on 704 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Vent the keg until the pour just dribbles out. If you get bubbles coming up and forming a head for a few minutes, you know you're carbed at least a minimal amount.

Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc. Did you know we are also now a full service homebrew shop selling malt, hops, yeast (Wyeast), etc?

Quick Reply