Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > having problems with mi first brew

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2013, 09:30 PM   #11
aeromarco
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

i don't have a beer thief, and no brewing store either. i live in Portugal and there are few home brewers, i buy my tools online. but i will look for that tool.

Another thing. my beer is in the fermenter since last sunday. how many time do i need to let ir ferment?

By the way, thanks a lot guys. I am relieved. I will post the results latter.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2013, 09:38 PM   #12
BlackGoat
Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 55

A beer thief is helpful but isn't really necessary - I have one and have only used it a couple times. You can take a gravity sample by opening the bucket and using a sanitized object (a glass measuring cup works great, or a ladle) to take out a sample. Generally you should let an ale stay in the primary fermenter for a couple weeks or longer. The only way to tell when it is done fermenting is to take a gravity samples a day or two apart, if the gravity is stable between the two readings, then fermentation is complete.

Primary: Curvaceous AK, Ruinatious Wheat

Old 10-08-2013, 09:39 PM   #13
billl
Recipes 

Liked 286 Times on 241 Posts
Likes Given: 7

You don't need a beer thief if you are fermenting in a bucket. When you need to take a sample, just take the lid off and use a sanitized measuring cup, ladle etc.

For a timeline, just leave it for 2 weeks or so before you start testing gravity. An important thing to know is that beer doesn't like to be rushed, but it doesn't mind waiting. You can let it sit in that fermenter for months and it will be fine.

Old 10-08-2013, 10:31 PM   #14
waldzinator
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by billl View Post
You don't need a beer thief if you are fermenting in a bucket. When you need to take a sample, just take the lid off and use a sanitized measuring cup, ladle etc.

For a timeline, just leave it for 2 weeks or so before you start testing gravity. An important thing to know is that beer doesn't like to be rushed, but it doesn't mind waiting. You can let it sit in that fermenter for months and it will be fine.
True. I'm so used to my carboy, I didn't even think about the obvious wider bucket opening.

Na zdrowie!

Primary: I think I'm turning Japanese APA
Secondary: Chocolate Wheat Porter
Bottle: Wynona's Big Brown Ale Clone, Hefeweizen

Quick Reply