Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > having problems with mi first brew

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2013, 08:00 PM   #1
aeromarco
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default having problems with mi first brew

Hi guys.

Just started brewing this last weekend and i am having a few problems.
I just hope some of more experienced brewers can help me.

i did the batch sunday. the recipe is a wheat beer, like Erdinger.
i had problems with filtration. the beer started fermenting great in the first hours after addding the yeast (already started).
The wort was at 30ºC (86ºF) when i added the yeast, is it to much?
In the first day of fermentation there where lots of bubbles in the bubbler, on the second day, which is today, there is a buble every 15 seconds. its a big difference. the temperature of the fermenting bucket is 69.8ºF.
i know i can measure teh alchool in the beer by taking a sample and measure the density (the density was 1052, wort as a 30ºC(86ºF)), but i have a problem, i have sediments in the bottom of the fermenting bucket, and this sediments are high and over the bucket tap.

Can anyone tell me if i am having problems with fermentation?

Pardon any wrong terms, just started and still learning the language of brewing.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-08-2013, 08:04 PM   #2
waldzinator
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeromarco View Post
Hi guys.

i had problems with filtration. the beer started fermenting great in the first hours after addding the yeast (already started).
In the first day of fermentation there where lots of bubbles in the bubbler, on the second day, which is today, there is a buble every 15 seconds. its a big difference. the temperature of the fermenting bucket is 69.8ºF.
i know i can measure teh alchool in the beer by taking a sample and measure the density (the density was 1052, wort as a 30ºC(86ºF)), but i have a problem, i have sediments in the bottom of the fermenting bucket, and this sediments are high and over the bucket tap.

Pardon any wrong terms, just started and still learning the language of brewing.
Temperature when adding the yeast should generally be in the range recommended on the yeast for fermentation. 86 is very high. Won't ruin your beer, but could produce off flavors.

As for taking a gravity measurement, you say that the sediment in the bucket (trub) is so high that you can't get a measurement? Could you clarify this point?

Na zdrowie!

Primary: I think I'm turning Japanese APA
Secondary: Chocolate Wheat Porter
Bottle: Wynona's Big Brown Ale Clone, Hefeweizen

Old 10-08-2013, 08:04 PM   #3
NewWestBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 53 Times on 44 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Quote:
Hi guys.

Welcome to the brewing obsession.

As for your brew: your yeast was pitched way too high...you want to pitch and hold the temps between 62F-70F, depending on the yeast. With the higher ferment temp you can create off flavours. With the higher temps you probably sped up the fermentation process, but normal ferment can range from 2-7 days. JUST LEAVE IT BE FOR ANOTHER 2 WEEKS.

The sediment in the bucket is trub and yeasty goodness and that is all normal.

Fermenter #1: Alesmith IPA clone
Fermenter #2: Air
Fermenter #3: Air
Bottled:Black IPA, 3 Floyds Alpha King Clone
Up Next: Who knows

Old 10-08-2013, 08:13 PM   #4
BlackGoat
Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 53

The others addressed the high pitching temperatures issues, you pitched with the temp too high. As for the sediment, that is normal. You will need to siphon the beer out of the bucket when you are ready to bottle. Do you have a separate bottling bucket or were you planning on bottling directly from the tap?

Primary: English Gold
Secondary: 2013 Dark Stock (on oak), Wee Heavy on oak
Bottled: Sir Suspicious Oatmeal Stout, Victorious Brown Ale, Wee Rambunctious Scotch/Belgian Hybrid

Old 10-08-2013, 08:14 PM   #5
aeromarco
Recipes 

that sediment in the bottom of the bucket, i believe is called trub, is about 5cm high and the hole of the bucket tap is lower than that. i believe if i try to open the tap it will be clogged. i didn't tryed yet because i don't know if i can move the bucket. at this moment it is on the floor, and to open the tap i should put it in higher place.

Old 10-08-2013, 08:16 PM   #6
billl
Recipes 

Liked 262 Times on 220 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Just leave it alone. It's fine. You pitched too hot, but then moved it to a cooler spot to ferment. Not ideal, but not the end of the world.

As for the "tap" - forget about. It is useless in the fermenter.That tap is going to just let all the junk flow with the finished beer. If you don't have one already, you'll want to pick up a siphon.

Old 10-08-2013, 08:18 PM   #7
aeromarco
Recipes 

i have another bucket, i can siphon the beer to that bucket. my main issue know is to know if the behaviour of the fermentation is normal or if i ruined the beer by having pitched too high.

Old 10-08-2013, 08:18 PM   #8
waldzinator
Recipes 

Quote:
that sediment in the bottom of the bucket, i believe is called trub, is about 5cm high and the hole of the bucket tap is lower than that. i believe if i try to open the tap it will be clogged. i didn't tryed yet because i don't know if i can move the bucket. at this moment it is on the floor, and to open the tap i should put it in higher place.
Ahh, ok. An invaluable tool is a beer thief. It is a plastic tube that works almost like a drinking straw. You tap your finger on a small hole at one end, and it draws the beer up into the thief. You can then pour it out into a vessel where you can take a hydrometer reading. That way, you can retrieve the beer from the top of your bucket without opening the valve. You should sanitize the thief with a good sanitizer before using it.

I'm assuming of course that you have a beer thief, or a home brewing store where you can purchase one (cheaply).

Na zdrowie!

Old 10-08-2013, 08:19 PM   #9
waldzinator
Recipes 

Quote:
i have another bucket, i can siphon the beer to that bucket. my main issue know is to know if the behaviour of the fermentation is normal or if i ruined the beer by having pitched too high.
Not ruined. You seem to have your fermentation temperature under control. You may notice a slight off taste, but you may not. Either way, it should be very drinkable.

Na zdrowie!

Old 10-08-2013, 08:20 PM   #10
BlackGoat
Recipes 

Liked 77 Times on 66 Posts
Likes Given: 53

you didn't ruin it. It's fine, might have some off flavors, but its fine. I pitched too high a few times when I first was getting started, you might get some fruity flavors that you didn't expect, and something that tastes a little like rubbing alcohol. But, you brought the temp down which is good - it will still be beer. Plenty of people ferment in buckets with spigots, but I think that they really aren't ideal for fermentation for a variety of reasons, one being the issue that you're dealing with.

Primary: English Gold
Secondary: 2013 Dark Stock (on oak), Wee Heavy on oak
Bottled: Sir Suspicious Oatmeal Stout, Victorious Brown Ale, Wee Rambunctious Scotch/Belgian Hybrid

Quick Reply