Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Has homebrewing made you more sensitive to the taste and the smell of beers?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-21-2009, 01:33 PM   #1
BarleyAndApple
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Has homebrewing made you more sensitive to the taste and the smell of beers?

Certainly was the case for me.

I can smell and taste the things that I was not able to prior to homebrew, after about 3 batches, I'm able to roughly tell what kind of malt, adjunct was used.

Wondering if it has been the same for others too.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-21-2009, 02:03 PM   #2
cvstrat
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 2

That's like asking if going to culinary school will make you more aware of what's in your food. Of course!

I think the understanding stems from knowing what each of the ingredients smells and tastes like. I always eat some of the grain I'm brewing with just to understand the flavor and aroma. The surprising thing is how much the final product can smell exactly like the ingredients. Russian imperial stouts are a great example of a beer that tastes just like the grains you put into it.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:19 PM   #3
RichBenn
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Thinking way back to when I first started homebrewing, it did make me more sensitive. I moved from BMC in to better beers after my first (German) Octoberfest and started to homebrew after that trip. Microbrews were basically non-existent at that time in the U.S., but the AHA was starting to take off.

But I think I got a whole lot better at tasting after going to alot of Beer tastings and Fests. I always pick out one style of beer, like IPA, and taste only that. After a while I could tell them what hops they used 95% of the time. It was those fests, for sure, that got me into all-grain. I wanted enough control to get those high end flavors and aromas into my own brews.

So the short of it is, brewing makes you appreciate (and buy) better comercial beers; drinking better commercial beers make you want to brew better beers!

Old 10-21-2009, 09:22 PM   #4
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 128 Posts

Yeah, it's gotten so I can tell when Mark changes something in one of his beers, although the Pilsner with 40 IBU of Saaz threw me. I can even tell if their chili was made with Muddy Flats stout or Black Panther.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 10-21-2009, 09:26 PM   #5
McKBrew

Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I'm not as good as David_42, but I definitely pick up more flavors in beer than I used to. I also can pick up quite a few flavors in Diet Coke, that I never knew were there before.

It also depends on what I've eaten before, or even the last beer I've had. For example, just had the 2009 Jubelale recently. The first bottle was after I had ate something (can't remember what) and drank a different beer. Wasn't too impressed. The next day I had it on a clean palate and it was a totally different beer.

Make Beer, Not War.

Old 10-21-2009, 09:29 PM   #6
TexLaw
Here's Lookin' Atcha!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 25 Times on 24 Posts

Oh, I'm certainly better at it than I used to be. Thinking while drinking helps, too.

TL

Drinking Frog Brewery, est. 1993

Old 10-22-2009, 01:35 AM   #7
CaptYesterday
Recipes 

Just by sticking my nose in the mylar bag and smelling the hops during my first few brews made me realize/appreciate what they contribute to a beer.

Old 10-22-2009, 04:55 AM   #8
wolfstar
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 106

I am a professional cook, so naturally, when I started making beer my palate was put to use. I am definitely more in tune with the flavor components of beer since I started brewing, and what it takes to achieve the flavor profile I am seeking. Absolutlely one of the most rewarding hobbies/obsessions I have yet to encounter

Old 10-22-2009, 04:58 AM   #9
Scut_Monkey
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts

Definitely has helped me to appreciate beer on a different level now. I wouldn't say I'm BJCP worth yet but a lot closer than I was before I started homebrewing.

Old 10-22-2009, 04:59 AM   #10
BulldogBrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 198 Times on 198 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptYesterday View Post
Just by sticking my nose in the mylar bag and smelling the hops during my first few brews made me realize/appreciate what they contribute to a beer.
+1! The first time I did this it was like a revelation. "So THAT'S what hops are!" I would say that was a real "beer awakening" for me.

Quick Reply