Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > has anyone tried the brewers best oatmeal stout kit

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2010, 01:05 AM   #31
slicksmix
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Thanks for that info Big B, You rock! i will definitely check that out over the next few days

How was your success with your recipe, if you did well and dont mind sharing i would like to do it sometime in the future, i would do it now but i already have 10 gallons of it, he he! There are so many recipes i wanna try its like i dont know what to do next, any ideas?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2010, 02:46 AM   #32
BigB
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicksmix View Post
Thanks for that info Big B, You rock! i will definitely check that out over the next few days

How was your success with your recipe, if you did well and dont mind sharing i would like to do it sometime in the future, i would do it now but i already have 10 gallons of it, he he! There are so many recipes i wanna try its like i dont know what to do next, any ideas?
No problem, but I can't take credit for the recipes, one was from clone brews and is a clone of Samuel Smith's Oatmeal Stout, I got the recipe here: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/closest-clone-samuel-smith-oatmeal-stout-55576/ And the other, although not an oatmeal stout, but still has plenty of body is the Deception Stout you will see in my signature (created by NCBeernut). Also, I did another one where the LHBS created the recipe, but I cannot remember where I put it... All of them were fantastic. As far as recommending a next brew, all I can say is pick a style you like and go for it. There are some great recipes in the database at the top of the screen. But I can tell you one that I think is probably my favorite, that would be Thunderstruck Pumpkin Ale... Simply awesome. I never liked pumpkin ales before and only made this for SWMBO, but I love it and all of my friends do too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBrew
It's now degenerating into nu uh and uh huhs and it no longer serves a point.

Old 12-03-2010, 01:45 PM   #33
daytonlawvol
Recipes 

For those keeping an eye on this Beer:
I went ahead and used the full pound of Maltodextrin

I had an original gravity of 1.058.
Ive had it in for 3 days, took a reading and it is at 1.030.

Will be interested to take another reading in 3 or 4 days.

Last edited by daytonlawvol; 12-03-2010 at 01:52 PM.

Old 12-03-2010, 03:51 PM   #34
flabyboy
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

i was looking at doing this recipe as well. One thing I noticed that the OP did that strayed from the recipe was using more water than recommended to steep the grains. The recipe calls for 1 gallon of water for every 2 lbs of grain for the steeping. there 3lbs of grain in this kits so 1.5 gallons for steeping, right? I beliee he used 2.5 to 3 gallons. Could this have caused this problem somehow?

Old 12-03-2010, 03:57 PM   #35
flabyboy
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytonlawvol View Post
A few notes....

Damn its hard to keep the Mashing temp between 160-165.

With 2.5 pounds of grain and mashing in 1.25 gallons of water as directed, neither bag of grains could be completely submerged.
In regards to the temp during steeping. I have had several people recommend bringing the water to 160 on stove top and preheat oven to 160. Once you water is at 160 steep your grains and place in oven.

Old 12-03-2010, 10:16 PM   #36
BigB
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flabyboy View Post
i was looking at doing this recipe as well. One thing I noticed that the OP did that strayed from the recipe was using more water than recommended to steep the grains. The recipe calls for 1 gallon of water for every 2 lbs of grain for the steeping. there 3lbs of grain in this kits so 1.5 gallons for steeping, right? I beliee he used 2.5 to 3 gallons. Could this have caused this problem somehow?
Actually just the opposite. John Palmer explains this well in his How to Brew:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Howtobrew.com
The grist/water ratio is another factor influencing the performance of the mash. A thinner mash of >2 quarts of water per pound of grain dilutes the relative concentration of the enzymes, slowing the conversion, but ultimately leads to a more fermentable mash because the enzymes are not inhibited by a high concentration of sugars. A stiff mash of <1.25 quarts of water per pound is better for protein breakdown, and results in a faster overall starch conversion, but the resultant sugars are less fermentable and will result in a sweeter, maltier beer. A thicker mash is more gentle to the enzymes because of the lower heat capacity of grain compared to water. A thick mash is better for multirest mashes because the enzymes are not denatured as quickly by a rise in temperature.

Quote:

Old 12-03-2010, 10:17 PM   #37
BigB
Recipes 

Quote:
In regards to the temp during steeping. I have had several people recommend bringing the water to 160 on stove top and preheat oven to 160. Once you water is at 160 steep your grains and place in oven.
Great advice! I know a few of the Mod's and IIRC ChesreCat recommend this as well.

Quote:

Old 12-04-2010, 12:48 AM   #38
slicksmix
Recipes 

Quote:
The first time i did this recipe, i followed the directions. The second i added more water to my mash.

with my temps: first 158 average (varying 2-3 degrees up and down) second 162 average (same goes for this one)

Wait a minute, how do you do this? you put your grains IN the oven? What does the oven do? Keep it at a consistant temp?

Old 12-04-2010, 11:22 AM   #39
BigB
Recipes 

Yes... You put the oven on a low setting and you slide your boil pot with the grains and water in the oven. It just helps to maintain the temp. Basically, instead of letting the grains steep in the boil pot on the stove, they just steep in the stove.

Quote:

Old 12-06-2010, 03:58 PM   #40
bstanf
Recipes 

An update:

I made a yeast starter (100 G of amber DME, 1L of water boiled for 15 minutes, then cooled) with Wyeast 1945 NB NeoBritannia and dumped that into my secondary.

After 24 hours of inactivity, I started to see a bubbly head of kraussen forming on top of the beer! I haven't taken any gravity readings yet, but it appears the yeast is eating something. I'm going to let it go until next weekend, then bottle it and hope for the best. Perhaps there's a chance this beer can be saved.

Fingers crossed!

Quick Reply