Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > has anyone tried the brewers best oatmeal stout kit

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2010, 12:29 PM   #11
slicksmix
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM-MN View Post
Quoting from an article on maltodextrine in Wikipedia, "Maltodextrin is a common adjunct to beer brewing to increase the specific gravity of the final beer product. This improves the mouthfeel of the beer and reduces the dryness of the drink. Maltodextrin is not fermented by the yeast and has no flavor."

By adding that much maltodextrine, the final product will have higher than normal final gravity.

One week for fermenting will end the fast phase but let it have more time to finish out the slower clean up and it may eat a little more of the sugars and settle out better.
Ok. I see your point. But my directions said the fg should be 1018 or under. That's why I freaked

Does anyone know anything I can do to lower the gravity

Would adding sugar/malt work in raising the abv

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-27-2010, 05:49 PM   #12
BigB
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Adding malto-dextrine does add to the FG, but 15 points is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY out of the realm. Therefore, in the overall scheme of the recipe, 1.033 IS NOT explained by the malto-dextrine, period. For that recipe, even using that much malto, 1.018 would be within an acceptable range.

Stuck fermentation is usually caused by poor aeration, underpitching yeast, or too cold fermentation temperatures. IF you don't have any success with correcting these factors, you may be able to restart fermentation by pitching onto a fresh yeast cake, or adding champagne yeast, simply strring up the yeast. IF it has only been 1 week, you are rushing things, if it has been 3 weeks (on primary) and the room you have it in is 55 degrees, it is too cold. If you never aerated well enough to begin with, then pitching onto a fresh yeast cake may help because you slightly aerate the wort in the process and the yeast cake is already acclimated to an alcohol rich environment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBrew
It's now degenerating into nu uh and uh huhs and it no longer serves a point.

Old 11-27-2010, 08:35 PM   #13
slicksmix
Recipes 

I started batch 1 on 11-13, and gravity hasn't changed since day 3. I've stirrded it, added yeast energizer, and repitched with a standard muntons ale yeast from the lhbs. Its now in a secondary, should I put it back into the primary to add the champagne yeast or just leave it alone? I'm willing to try anything to get a lil more abv

You don't think ill get off flavors from adding yet another pack of yeast do u?

Old 11-28-2010, 02:26 AM   #14
BigB
Recipes 

You don't need to move it again. Just add the yeast directly to the secondary. Nor should you get any off flavors from adding the champagne yeast. Just keep in mind that sometimes people have success with pitching champagne yeast, and sometimes they don't. I'm not aware of any fool proof method to get it going again. In addition to re-pitching, I would put the fermenter in the warmest room of your house.

Quote:

Old 11-28-2010, 04:57 PM   #15
daytonlawvol
Recipes 

Question for the experts here Would you guys use the full pound of Maltodextrin in a batch of this Oatmeal Stout, or would you cut it down a bit? Thanks for the help, about to start this kit.

Old 11-28-2010, 07:16 PM   #16
slicksmix
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytonlawvol View Post
Question for the experts here Would you guys use the full pound of Maltodextrin in a batch of this Oatmeal Stout, or would you cut it down a bit? Thanks for the help, about to start this kit.
If you are about to start this kit (again), i would omit the maltodextrin. I am not certain, but i am starting to believe it is the culprit stopping my fermentation way too early. Like ive said, i did this kit twice ( i have been looking forward to the release of this kit for a long time and was so excited, when my first didnt turn out quite right, i immediately started a second only to have the same thing happen) and it stuck twice. Another poster on the first page is also having the same problem. Therefore I dont believe its anything that i did, but a recipe error on their part.

If you did want to use the malto, i would seriously only use about a qtr to half at the absolute most.

I wish you the best of luck, and if its not too much, please let me know how you do (the more heads the better), and i will do the same.

I am going to bottle one as is, and try to pitch champagne yeast in another to see if fermentation will pick up. Im about to give up on the BB oatmeal stout... Grrrrrr

Old 11-29-2010, 03:35 AM   #17
BeerBrewingEquipment
Recipes 

I'm glad I found this thread. I just purchased the Brewer's Best Oatmeal Stout kit. I plan on brewing in the next couple weeks. I'll be using liquid yeast though. I wonder if that will change the results at all.

Cheers!
Travis

Beer Brewing Equipment

Old 11-29-2010, 01:28 PM   #18
daytonlawvol
Recipes 

I think ill use a little less than half of the Maltodextrin and see what happens? I shouldnt get any bad results from that, I think?

Old 11-29-2010, 03:20 PM   #19
bpac
Recipes 

wow, interesting that i found this here.

i had pre-planned to start this exact kit today!

keep this thread going on what you guys find, and i will do the same.

Old 11-29-2010, 03:46 PM   #20
BigB
Recipes 

Cutting down on the malto-dextrine will not drastically affect this beer. It will simply be less creamy and have a little less body. 1 pound of maltodextrine will add about 7-8 points for a 5 gallon batch to both the OG and the FG because it is only about 12% fermentable. The recipe as it stands (excluding the malto) would have an OG of around 1.051-1.054 and FG of 1.013-1.018. Therfore, even adding 8 points to the high end of the FG (which would be 1.026), does not explain an FG of 1.033. Now if you cut out 1/2 of the malto-dextrine, that should leave your FG at the high end of 1.022.

Quote:

Quick Reply