Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > has anyone tried the brewers best oatmeal stout kit

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2013, 04:05 AM   #121
Spinrathen
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

When I brewed this kit my OG was 1.070, FG stalled out at 1.030, I bottled it then. It ended up being just ok, granted I don't buy kits anymore but if I did I don't think I'd buy this one.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2013, 11:24 PM   #122
WalterWhite
Recipes 

Just brewed this Saturday afternoon and airlock was done bubbling by Monday morning which brought me to this thread. Brand new to this but I've read through this entire tread and a few things seemed somewhat apparent to me:

-Final gravity generally tops out at ~1.032 for most brewers

-no real success stories of repitching yeast, subbing the yeast, adding amylase enzyme, using yeast energizer, shaking the fermenter, using a prolonged fermentation or a secondary

-most people have found their 3 percent beers to be a tasty success

-I still don't think anyone has mentioned dropping the maltodextrin in their next attempt

As a brand new brewer, BigB's post make the most sense to me. Cliff notes of my conclusions (which may be dead wrong):

-maltodextrin is largely unfermentable and adds approximately 8 points to specific gravity
-brewing instructions have likely not accounted for the malto's effect therefore, when we try to brew the suggested OG 1.056-1.064 we actually are brewing to a "real" 1.048-1.056, providing less sugar for the fermentation.
-if we wanted to brew to the true suggested OG, we should aim for 1.064-1.072 (seems to be in line with the few people who have experienced success)
-instructions supply a suggested FG of 1.016-1.020, which would be 1.024-1.028 adjusted (in line with several people's results now)

Old 03-19-2013, 07:47 PM   #123
bd2xu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 24 Posts

Going to try this one tonight. Using S-04 yeast, which usually has no problem finishing. I also noticed in looking at the kit I have the maltodextrin is now .5 lbs vs 1 lbs. Plan on adding some cold brewed coffee to the keg as well.

But has anyone done this with S-04?

Going to put this recipe into beersmith to see if the numbers jive for a partial mash.

On tap: Turbo DIPA, Naked American Wheat, Sightless Swine IPA, Petite Saison d'ete, Caramel Apple Cider
Bottled: Weizenbier, LaChouffe Clone, La Fin Du Monde Clone, Cottage House Oaked Saison with Chardonnay

Text to SWMBO: "Honey I'm having one more pint with the guys, be home in 20 minutes. If I'm not home by then, read this message again."

Old 03-19-2013, 10:37 PM   #124
bd2xu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Here's what I get when I plug the numbers into beersmith.

image-3462761374.jpg

On tap: Turbo DIPA, Naked American Wheat, Sightless Swine IPA, Petite Saison d'ete, Caramel Apple Cider
Bottled: Weizenbier, LaChouffe Clone, La Fin Du Monde Clone, Cottage House Oaked Saison with Chardonnay

Text to SWMBO: "Honey I'm having one more pint with the guys, be home in 20 minutes. If I'm not home by then, read this message again."

Old 03-21-2013, 12:49 AM   #125
bd2xu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Pitched some rehydrated s04 at 9 am this morning. Just checked and starting to see airlock activity. Will keep updated to see if I can break the dreaded stall at 35.

I'm pretty confident s04 will get this down to the 17 range like beersmith predicts.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:52 AM   #126
bd2xu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Also I kept the mash between 149 and 152 for 45 minutes, rinsed w half gallon of 170 water and my OG was 1.064. Left about a quart of trub and wort in the kettle, wort in fermenter is right at 5 gallon mark. Aeration was a minute of shaking the bucket.

Old 03-27-2013, 05:20 AM   #127
bd2xu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Going to check SG tomorrow night. I saw good activity in the airlock for the first 24 hours or so after it started but it dies down pretty quick and i'm not seeing any activity now. One of the downsides of a bucket, can't see what's going on (and the damn lid is so hard to get off to take samples). Doesn't seem like enough activity overall to be close to being done, but only the hydro will tell. I am really thinking it may be stuck. But S-04 has yet to fail me and I think it should be a pretty good yeast for this style so we shall see... I'm planning on cold brewing some coffee to go into the keg with the beer.

Old 03-29-2013, 06:07 PM   #128
bd2xu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Good news I'm at 1.019. Ramped temp up to 70-72 for another week.

Thinking of adding vanilla extract and coffee to keg, any idea how much vanilla extract? Going to cold brew a French press of coffee for the keg.

Old 03-29-2013, 10:47 PM   #129
DrunkleJon
I'm good enough. I'm smart enough. And doggone it, people like me.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1065 Times on 795 Posts
Likes Given: 523

In hindsight I think my biggest problem way back when was to follow the directions instead of breaking up the extract additions. Still was a great beer, just less dry than it could have been.

Old 03-31-2013, 04:22 PM   #130
bd2xu
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkleJon
In hindsight I think my biggest problem way back when was to follow the directions instead of breaking up the extract additions. Still was a great beer, just less dry than it could have been.
How's that founders Bfast stout clone coming? What a great beer...

Quick Reply