Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > has anyone tried the brewers best oatmeal stout kit

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2013, 12:10 AM   #111
Jonnyray85
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by daytonlawvol View Post
A few notes....

Damn its hard to keep the Mashing temp between 160-165.
Hah, I brewed a similar batch yesterday and was thinking the same thing. I just stood over the pot for 45 minutes with the hand on the temp knob...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2013, 07:44 PM   #112
RockyTop11
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

well after reading this thread, and airlock stopped after 2-3 short days, I have already purchased another windsor yeast and amylase enzyme just in case needing to drop it down. Haven't checked the h reading yet (my OG was 1.064) but seems like I am going to need it. The other beer I did the same day is still bubbling 5 days later!

Secondary-(1)Zombie Dust Clone #1 (2)
Bottled-(1)Whiskey Barrel Porter (2)Caramel Apple Hard Cider
Kegged-(1)Hop Head IIPA (2)MidState Brew Crew Club IPA (3) (4) (5) (6)

Old 01-13-2013, 01:05 AM   #113
brevity
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

This kit was my first batch ever and is still in the primary after two weeks. I did not take an OG reading but the behavior seemed similar to what everyone is reporting, fast fermentation in the first 2 days and then quickly tapering off.
My kit included the Windsor yeast instead of the Nottingham. I figure I'll take a couple readings over the next week. If no change in gravity I'll keg it and hope for the best!

Old 01-15-2013, 10:02 PM   #114
RockyTop11
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brevity View Post
This kit was my first batch ever and is still in the primary after two weeks. I did not take an OG reading but the behavior seemed similar to what everyone is reporting, fast fermentation in the first 2 days and then quickly tapering off.
My kit included the Windsor yeast instead of the Nottingham. I figure I'll take a couple readings over the next week. If no change in gravity I'll keg it and hope for the best!
Let us know what you find, i will do the same. I am going to take a reading tonight, 8 days after brewing and 4 days after no bubbles in airlock

Old 01-16-2013, 06:42 PM   #115
brevity
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyTop11 View Post
Let us know what you find, i will do the same. I am going to take a reading tonight, 8 days after brewing and 4 days after no bubbles in airlock
I took two readings over two days with no gravity change. FG came out to be 1.021. I think the instructions estimate an OG of around 1.060 so that leaves me with a 5.1% ABV. Not great but I'll take it. The beer tastes pretty good and is carbing in the keg now. It could be a bit dryer but I'm not complaining as it's my first homebrew.

Old 01-17-2013, 01:13 PM   #116
RockyTop11
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

mine was already down to 1.025 8 days in, plan on checking again this weekend to make sure it reaches that 1.020ish mark

Old 01-17-2013, 01:36 PM   #117
themack22
Recipes 

Mine's been in the secondary for a week and I shaved off a few more points. Looking at 1026. 5%. I'll take it. Tastes damn good flat. Can't wait to bottle it this weekend.

Old 01-18-2013, 03:07 AM   #118
brewlong1
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am a noob, bought the brewers best oatmeal stout kit on Saturday as my first brew and had it in primary by Sunday afternoon. I didn't find this thread till monday and started to worry I had picked the wrong kit to try first. But much to my surprise just took an sg of 1.018 and og was 1.055. Not to mention hydro sample tested excellent although flat ha. I will give it another two weeks in primary, then bottle it up! Excited to sit back and enjoy my first brew, love this obsession!

Old 01-18-2013, 03:13 AM   #119
brewlong1
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

As a noob I picked this kit up from the LHBS as my first brew. I got nervous when I found this thread after already having the wort in primary for a day. Much to my surprise my SG today is 1.018 and OG was 1.055. Going to leave it in primary for another two weeks and bottle! Can't wait to enjoy this homebrew! Ps the hydro sample tasted great even though fairly flat.

Old 01-30-2013, 02:55 AM   #120
themack22
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkleJon
That seems to be the range that everyone gets stuck at. It is still a tasty beer though. It is as done as it is getting and since the last one that I finished the other day which had been sitting in a bottle for a year didn't overcarb or blow I believe it is done. They should correct the recipe, but its still a good beer.
How do we change this recipe? I am drinking the final product and its the best beer I've made...very tasty, but kinda sweet. I can only imagine how good this would be if it went down to the fg it was supposed to be!

Quick Reply