Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > has anyone tried the brewers best oatmeal stout kit

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2011, 09:37 AM   #91
paradoxic
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Did your instructions include the extra page from brewers best about the partial mash? I reached the proper final gravity though it took over a month in primary. Kegged it yesterday and will give it a week or two before first tastings.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-01-2011, 04:29 PM   #92
lou2row
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxic View Post
Did your instructions include the extra page from brewers best about the partial mash? I reached the proper final gravity though it took over a month in primary. Kegged it yesterday and will give it a week or two before first tastings.
Yes my instructions did. What yeast did you use? One other poster from Chicago got better results from their home brew shop giving them an alternative yeast.

Old 04-12-2011, 01:01 PM   #93
lou2row

Recipes 

I've been drinking on this for a couple weeks, and taste-wise, it is a success! A rich, milk chocolate head on a well carbed nice stout. It had some RIS characteristics to start that have faded down and mellowed (to my chagrin and my wife's pleasure). A very good beer I am happy with being one of my first brews.

Old 05-26-2011, 11:04 PM   #94
millhouse46
Recipes 

I started this beer 2 nights ago and started reading this today. It is in the fermentor and fermenting. My OG was 1056. I have an electric range and a small thermometer and had a hard time keeping the temp consistent. It did go to 170 on a few occasions and I didn't regulate the temp on final boil with the hops I just let it simmer for an hour, which is to say I didn't keep an eye on temp throughout boil.
I do have one question still after all the discussion though, if fermentation stalling is typical/likely with this recipe how will I know when to put it to secondary? Or maybe a different question is at what gravity should I put it in secondary? And for how long?

Old 05-27-2011, 12:25 AM   #95
lou2row

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by millhouse46 View Post
I started this beer 2 nights ago and started reading this today. It is in the fermentor and fermenting. My OG was 1056. I have an electric range and a small thermometer and had a hard time keeping the temp consistent. It did go to 170 on a few occasions and I didn't regulate the temp on final boil with the hops I just let it simmer for an hour, which is to say I didn't keep an eye on temp throughout boil.
I do have one question still after all the discussion though, if fermentation stalling is typical/likely with this recipe how will I know when to put it to secondary? Or maybe a different question is at what gravity should I put it in secondary? And for how long?
First off, I never did a secondary. I left it in my primary for 3 to 4 weeks. Once you hold steady with the same gravity for a week or two, it isn't going any farther. Then you should be fine to secondary or bottle.

Old 07-09-2011, 11:58 PM   #96
PHillBrewCo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm about to brew this one.. I've read through this entire thread and it was informative. I'm only going to change one thing: steep at 150. And I might try to steep in the oven if my smaller pot will fit and hanlde the volume...

"When all else fail, inhale a Ale" - Daniel Dumile

Old 07-10-2011, 05:25 AM   #97
slicksmix
Recipes 

Cool. Keep us updated. Just so u know every batch tasted great. Even if it didn't go as planned. Im sure it will be fine

Old 07-10-2011, 01:46 PM   #98
lou2row

Recipes 

After five batches, this is still everyone's favorite I have made.

Old 08-06-2011, 04:16 AM   #99
PHillBrewCo
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I brewed this on Wednesday. Everything went as smooth as could be..except...I forgot to take a gravity reading before I sealed the lid and put the air lock in. haha. No biggie. I steeped the grains between 150-160. This thing bubbled away within 24 hours but it also halted within 24 hours of starting. No sweat. I think I'll leave it in primary until 8/17. And then rack to secondary and let it sit for 3-4 more weeks and then bottle condition and break them out for my birthday in the beginning of November. Also thinking of going the breakfast route by adding some nice cold brewed coffee at bottling. Still thinking out the particulars on that...

"When all else fail, inhale a Ale" - Daniel Dumile

Old 08-06-2011, 05:21 AM   #100
paradoxic
Recipes 

Its been about 15 batches since I did this one. Those who like stouts enjoyed it but I thought it was funky from the yeast. That being said if I were to do it again I'd rack to secondary this time. I've since went all grain however and will likely only do partial mashes when its far below freezing in the garage this winter.

Quick Reply