Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > has anyone tried the brewers best oatmeal stout kit

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2010, 08:27 PM   #1
slicksmix
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default has anyone tried the brewers best oatmeal stout kit

I ask because I have done two batches and both stopped fermenting at 1033-1038.

Has anyone had success with this kit

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-26-2010, 12:31 AM   #2
BigB
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Not that particular kit, but recipes extremely similar to it. Regardless, 33-38 is obviously extremely high. Tell us your procedure in detail and I'm sure the collective wisdom of this forum can help you nail it down. For example, what yeast are you using? How much yeast? Starter? Fermentation temp? How long did you allow it to ferment? Have you verified the accuracy of your hydrometer? Are you changing the recipe by adding more fermentables? The more you tell, the more we can help!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBrew
It's now degenerating into nu uh and uh huhs and it no longer serves a point.

Old 11-26-2010, 07:02 PM   #3
slicksmix
Recipes 

OK, this is what i did for my 5 gal batch...

I layered my grains and flaked oats in two bags, the grains i used were..
1 lb oats, 12 oz 2-row pale malt, 6 oz Dark Chocolate, 4 oz Victory, and 2 oz caramel 120lovebond. I steeped in 2 gallons and 1 quart of water at 162 degrees for 45 min,

Then i topped up to 2.5 -3 gallons

Then i brought it to a boil and added 3.3 lb of dark LME, 3 lb of Dark DME, and 1 lb maltodextrin (dunno why, it was in the kit so i included it)

When it came to a boil again i added 1 oz bittering hops for 45 min, then 1 oz flavoring hops for 15 min. after that i chilled my wort to 75 degrees, added to my fermenter, topped up to 5 gallons, put my nottingham yeast in 1/4 cup of water for 15 min, stirred, then pitched.

Had strong fermentation in 24 hrs, then it quickly petered out. both batches ive done stopped in the 1030s

Old 11-26-2010, 07:06 PM   #4
deanfootlong
Recipes 

might have something to do with how high of water temp you are steeping in. try 150 degree water.

Old 11-26-2010, 07:11 PM   #5
Righlander
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

is it just me or does 1lb malto dextrin seem like A LOT?

Old 11-26-2010, 07:13 PM   #6
BigB
Recipes 

The steeping temperature of the water was fine. That won't drastically affect the FG on an extract batch. What was the temperature of the room where the beer was fermenting at? How long was it fermenting for when you checked the FG? Did you take hydro readings 2-3 days in a row to verify fermentation is complete? Notty is a very flocculant. Did you try gently stirring the wort to rouse the yeast back into suspension?

Quote:

Old 11-26-2010, 07:14 PM   #7
BigB
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Righlander View Post
is it just me or does 1lb malto dextrin seem like A LOT?
Its a little on the high end but for a sweet/oatmeal stout, that isn't out of the realm.

Quote:

Old 11-26-2010, 08:30 PM   #8
slicksmix
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigB View Post
The steeping temperature of the water was fine. That won't affect the FG on an extract batch. What was the temperature of the room where the beer was fermenting at? How long was it fermenting for when you checked the FG? Did you take hydro readings 2-3 days in a row to verify fermentation is complete? Notty is a very flocculant. Did you try gently stirring the wort to rouse the yeast back into suspension?
I've tried everything that I know do to Inc stirring, yeast energizer, even repitching on batch 1. That's why I wanted to see if anyone has had success with one.

I steeped at 162 because that's what the directions told me to do. Same with 1 lb maltodextrin. I don't feel experienced enough to mod recipes yet as this is my 3rd batch

My stick on thermometer said it was 71 degrees. The room temp was Closer to 65

Old 11-27-2010, 03:00 AM   #9
bstanf
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicksmix View Post
I've tried everything that I know do to Inc stirring, yeast energizer, even repitching on batch 1. That's why I wanted to see if anyone has had success with one.

I steeped at 162 because that's what the directions told me to do. Same with 1 lb maltodextrin. I don't feel experienced enough to mod recipes yet as this is my 3rd batch

My stick on thermometer said it was 71 degrees. The room temp was Closer to 65
This is distressing to hear. I've got the exact some problem with the exact same kit. I just ordered more yeast to try to repitch with some yeast nutrient.

My primary fermentation (at 63 degrees) went well for 3 days, then stopped at 1.035. I let it sit for a week, then racked into a secondary in a slightly warmer environment (68 degrees), hoping that might kick things off again.

If you figure out something that works, I'm all ears.

(I should note I also modded a little bit, by using an orange and spices for the last 15 minutes of the boil to try to get some holiday flavor, but I doubt that has anything to do with my fermentation problems.)

Old 11-27-2010, 11:38 AM   #10
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 746 Times on 625 Posts
Likes Given: 238

Quoting from an article on maltodextrine in Wikipedia, "Maltodextrin is a common adjunct to beer brewing to increase the specific gravity of the final beer product. This improves the mouthfeel of the beer and reduces the dryness of the drink. Maltodextrin is not fermented by the yeast and has no flavor."

By adding that much maltodextrine, the final product will have higher than normal final gravity.

One week for fermenting will end the fast phase but let it have more time to finish out the slower clean up and it may eat a little more of the sugars and settle out better.

Quick Reply