Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Hard times cheapest most practical grain crusher/mill?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2009, 03:53 PM   #1
Beau815
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Hard times cheapest most practical grain crusher/mill?

Anyone know what the cheapest mill that works well is? I don't care if I have to hand crank for an hour.

tcdehay Likes This 
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2009, 03:59 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2747 Times on 1648 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

Two options, both work...

The common cheapo is the corona style...Charlie Papazian has been using his for sevearl decades and gets 87% with it...

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/my-u...station-90849/

And people are also modding pasta machines...which can be gotten as low as 15.00 from Michaels or Joanne fabric with a coupon...

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/usin...l-grain-75784/

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-20-2009, 04:18 PM   #3
Beau815
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

This a good deal or is it too old and crappy? VINTAGE LANDERS FRARY&CLARK CORONA CORN MILL GRINDER - eBay (item 380118320633 end time Apr-24-09 18:01:37 PDT)

Old 04-20-2009, 04:21 PM   #4
Revvy

Recipes 

Looks fine...just watch the shipping charges, these things are heavy...

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-20-2009, 04:25 PM   #5
Beau815
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

k thanks Revvy!

Old 04-20-2009, 04:37 PM   #6
RedIrocZ-28

Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 16 Posts

Beau, I'll build you one of the pasta maker mills with knurled rollers and a hopper for like $40 + shipping. or $30 without the hopper and $5 for shipping just the mill.

Old 04-20-2009, 04:46 PM   #7
FullDraw

Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 7

This is mine. Hopper is small, but fits a cut juice bottle well. I've ground 4 batches, no problems. My store is right down the road. They were out of stock, but shipped it to my door, 31 bucks total. I'd get another. but don't plan to. The handle screw is metric if you want to hook up a drill. H7775 Cast Iron Corn / Grain Mill

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it. - Steven Wright

Old 04-20-2009, 04:47 PM   #8
Beau815
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I was just reading that pasta mill thread... i got to page 10 of 30 and it seemed at the time that it wasn't proved to be a good item, im guessing a year later its been proved good? And yeah having to knurl it myself sounded like a pain seeing I have no clue how. Right now i'm just researching... I'm pretty broke... maybe in a couple months I can take you up on that offer.

Old 04-20-2009, 04:48 PM   #9
Beau815
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Cayuga! Wow for 22 bucks that's nice, looks similar to Corona! Yeah 31 bucks including shipping... that's the best deal Ive seen on a real mill. Thanks for the info.

Old 04-20-2009, 04:49 PM   #10
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beau815 View Post
I was just reading that pasta mill thread... i got to page 10 of 30 and it seemed at the time that it wasn't proved to be a good item, im guessing a year later its been proved good? And yeah having to knurl it myself sounded like a pain seeing I have no clue how. Right now i'm just researching... I'm pretty broke... maybe in a couple months I can take you up on that offer.
In the first part of the thread, noone tried it and just did their usual "conjecture" bs..but I re-bumped the thread, showed how it was modified to fit a motor, and then suddenly people began to try it, and the nay sayers went away...

Keep reading, you will see.

Quick Reply