Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Hard or Soft Water?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2010, 01:11 AM   #1
brewsterk2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Hard or Soft Water?

I know that our tap water here in Eugene, OR is very soft and I've heard talk on the web that it's necessary to harden up the water with a salt base for brewing, especially with an IPA.

Am I mistaken? If it is necessary, why is that so?

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-17-2010, 01:40 AM   #2
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Are you brewing Extract, Partial Mash or All Grain? In Partial Mash and Extract Brewing your water is not so much of a concern. That being said, I have pretty soft water and do all 3 methods with no issues.

If you get your water from a municipal source you may want to filter it for Chloramines that way you don't get any off flavors.

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 02-17-2010, 01:40 AM   #3
android
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 32 Posts
Likes Given: 3

you can find water adjustment calculators that will tell you how much gypsum, etc. to add to fit particular styles better. i think some breweries in oregon probably add some gypsum (i know deschutes does for sure), so you might benefit from it. but you could always just brew one up (i'm sure it'd be good either way) and see if you want to adjust from there.

ebay temp controller | thermostat temp controller

Quick Reply