Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > hard lemonade= no fermentation

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2010, 01:42 PM   #1
OHIOSTEVE
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 48 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Default hard lemonade= no fermentation

I started a batch of hard lemonad monday. I followed YOOPERBREWS recipe and got everything together. started the yeast and pitched the yeast tuesday after adding must a couple of times and getting a good foamy start. I checked the OG monday and it was 1.080.......checked it just now and it is 1.080..... Am I too impatient or should I see SOMETHING by now? Also , I have more yeast if you guys think I should make another bigger starter and try again.

BALDGUT BREWS

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-04-2010, 04:29 PM   #2
howabouttheiris
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

My hard lemonade attempt took about 5-6 weeks to ferment out.

I used a 2nd starter and yeast nutrient after 3 weeks. I had no strong fermentation after my original pitch (no airlock activity and just a bit of condensation).

Once it got going it was fine and fermented out completely, but it did test my patience. I did not notice any off flavors at all from the 2nd pitch or from my several stirring attempts.

Old 03-04-2010, 09:54 PM   #3
malkore

Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 9

you didn't use any lemonade with 'sorbate' in it did you?

Bottled: MOAM, Braggot, Raspberry Melomel, Merlot, Apfelwein, Pyment, Sweet mead, Cabernet
Gal in 2009: 27, Gal in 2010: 34, Gal in 2011: 13, Gal in 2012: 10

Old 03-04-2010, 10:16 PM   #4
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Nope 5678910

BALDGUT BREWS

Old 03-06-2010, 03:06 PM   #5
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

I decided to pitch another packet of yeast.. Started it in a bowl with a small amount of must and got a nice foamy start....added a bit more must and stirred it up. this morning I have nothing but a bunch of yeast on the bottom of the mason jar...looks to be dead also. I hate to waste this batch of lemonade but it seems DOA to me. any suggestions?

BALDGUT BREWS

Old 03-06-2010, 03:24 PM   #6
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4248 Times on 3095 Posts
Likes Given: 804

I don't have any words of wisdom, beyond making the starter. You could try a package of champagne yeast, and adding sugar water to it, and then a bit of the must. Diluting the must makes a big difference in the acidity. If it's mostly must you're adding, the yeast won't be able to handle it. Diluting the must with some sugar water and building it up that way works pretty well, if you do it very slowly over the course of several days. Eventually, add more must and less diluent until you're adding straight must and the fermentation continues.

Old 03-06-2010, 03:59 PM   #7
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YooperBrew View Post
I don't have any words of wisdom, beyond making the starter. You could try a package of champagne yeast, and adding sugar water to it, and then a bit of the must. Diluting the must makes a big difference in the acidity. If it's mostly must you're adding, the yeast won't be able to handle it. Diluting the must with some sugar water and building it up that way works pretty well, if you do it very slowly over the course of several days. Eventually, add more must and less diluent until you're adding straight must and the fermentation continues.
Wish I would have checked in on this 5 minutes sooner.... what I did YOOP was this.. I opened the started jar ( loosely covered with foil) and the alcohol smell was intense. My theory is that it used up the available sugar already and fell out of suspension... I just went ahead and pitched it into the lemonade....If it works I will be happy, if not I am just out 10 cans of lemonade... AND if you REALLY take a good sniff of the lemonade you can MAYBE smell a hint of alcohol so MAQYBE it is SLOWLY Starting to ferment a little.
BALDGUT BREWS

Old 03-06-2010, 07:59 PM   #8
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4248 Times on 3095 Posts
Likes Given: 804

Well, grab a spoon or dowel or something, and sanitize it and stir it up like crazy. That might help, since the yeast need oxygen to reproduce. I always stir in primary, and this yeast seems to need all the help it can get.

Old 03-07-2010, 01:23 AM   #9
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 82 Times on 72 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Mine was in the bottle in about 1 month...

Old 03-08-2010, 03:35 AM   #10
OHIOSTEVE
Recipes 

I just took another hydro reading and it hasn't budged at all.. I am thinking of just dumping it or pouring it onto a beer yeast cake.

BALDGUT BREWS

Quick Reply