Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Last Sponsor Giveaway of the Year!

Come Enter the BrewDeals/FastFerment Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Hard Cider Issue

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2014, 04:46 AM   #1
Marzdor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Hard Cider Issue

Okay so this was my first attempt at making anything and i am a complete beginner.

This is what i did took one gallon of apple juice pored 2 cups out added 2 cups brown sugar and a pack of bread yeast.

Then i let it sit for 19 days and bottled it. After i bottled it i put it in the fridge this was Tuesday afternoon. It sat over night then on Wednesday i opened one of the bottles and it was good yet when we tired it today it was realy bad and i am not sure why.

I would really like to find out so i don't mess up the same way with a batch of Mead that i am trying.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2014, 05:05 AM   #2
mohawk
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Hard Cider Issue

Last time I used brown sugar I had the same experience,brown sugar is sweet, but also has flavour, once the yeast eat all the sweet, that brown sugar flavour is horrible, table sugar or corn sugar have no or little flavour but still produce alcohol, making your cider dry, if you want brown sugar flavour you should add it after fermentation, use corn sugar instead

Old 01-24-2014, 05:11 AM   #3
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 246 Times on 216 Posts
Likes Given: 62

Use WLP002 or CY1118 yeast, not bread yeast.

Primary:
Brite Tank/Lagering:
Kegged: Hefeweizen, Chocolate Hazelnut Porter, Kumquat Saison, Tart Cherry Cider, Belgian Tripel, Maibock Bock, Ommegang Abbey Ale Clone, Belgian Golden Strong, German Pils (WLP830)
Bottled: Belgian Quad (Grand Reserve), Derangement (Belgian Dark Strong)
On Deck:
My Site: www.restlesscellars.com
DSorenson Likes This 
Old 01-24-2014, 05:18 AM   #4
mohawk
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If your watching tube videos on how to make inmate brew, stop it, watch videos of real homemade wine being made, it's still easy to do and can be inexpensive, but makes for a better finished product

Old 01-24-2014, 05:23 AM   #5
Marzdor
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawk View Post
If your watching tube videos on how to make inmate brew, stop it, watch videos of real homemade wine being made, it's still easy to do and can be inexpensive, but makes for a better finished product
Ya i know i just wanted to try it but; for my mead i am doing a gallon batch with 3 pounds orange blossom honey about a cup of fresh squeezed orange juice some orange zest and a stick of cinnamon with white labs sweet mead yeast but idk if it will come out good

Old 01-24-2014, 05:48 AM   #6
mohawk
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

That sounds awesomely good, if you add to mead, addition of fruit or spice it becomes melomel, good luck, hope it turns out great!

Old 01-24-2014, 06:24 AM   #7
RPCidery
I love beer, and beer loves me.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marzdor View Post
Ya i know i just wanted to try it but; for my mead i am doing a gallon batch with 3 pounds orange blossom honey about a cup of fresh squeezed orange juice some orange zest and a stick of cinnamon with white labs sweet mead yeast but idk if it will come out good
You're gonna have an O.G. of well over 1.14, plan on aging that one for some time. Also, cinnamon is stronger than you think. You can always add more, but you can't take any out.

Old 01-24-2014, 06:17 PM   #8
Marzdor
Recipes 

How long should i age it my original plan was to let it go for a month then rack it and let it sit for another month

Old 01-24-2014, 06:34 PM   #9
RPCidery
I love beer, and beer loves me.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I started a two-gallon batch of apple melomel, using honey and brown sugar, with an OG of ~1.15 at the beginning of September, and it is just now starting to clear well and taste decent. At the rate it's going, I might bottle it around Easter. Probably be pretty tasty by Thanksgiving. High ABV drinks tend to take a long time to mature.

Quick Reply