Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Had to use bottling bucket as primary, need some help.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2011, 04:08 PM   #1
Dolemite78
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Had to use bottling bucket as primary, need some help.

As some of you may have read in a previous post of mine, last week I had a mishap with one of my fermenters and had to use a bottling bucket for one of my batches. No big deal, I have read about using a wedge to keep the trub away from the spigot when I bottle. My concern and request for advice follows;

Boundry Waters Wheat 5 gallon batch

1. How do I carbonate w/ my priming sugar in the bottling bucket? I will use 5oz of corn sugar dissolved in water. Should I just pour it in the top of the bottling bucket and gently stir? I don't want to disturb the trub and don't want to aerate, I assume I run the risk of both if I do it this way.

2. I would also like to rack 2.5gal as a Peach Wheat using extract, and the remaining 2.5gal as an Apricot Wheat, also extract. What process would you recommend for completing this? I could add priming sugar in bottling bucket and just bottle my first 2.5gal into growlers with .5 oz of the peach extract per growler. Then when I had just 2.5 left I could add 2 oz of apricot to the bottling bucket, gently stir, and continue bottling in bottles ( I only have about 6 growlers available).

There is a possibility that my other primary (which currently has a film/texture from letting oxiclean and water soak way too long) will clean up based off cleaning suggestions from this board. If that is the case I will rack the beer to it for carbing, then back to the cleaned out bottling bucket 2.5 gal at a time for extract addition.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-28-2011, 04:20 PM   #2
brewgasm135
Recipes 

You should be ok adding your priming liquid into your primary and gently stiring. I imagine you would disturb the trub a bit though.. Maybe just prime each seperate bottle instead of priming the bucket.

You can def bottle in the growlers with extract in each one. My concern would be adding the other extract to your primary/bottling bucket for the rest of the batch and having the extract get lost/mixed into your trub.

Primary:
Secondary:
Bottled (Aging): Jalapeno Cream Ale
Bottled (Aging): Pumpkin Spice Ale
Bottled (Drinking): Jack O' Lantern Smokes Wheat
Next Up: Oatmeal Stout

Old 09-28-2011, 04:33 PM   #3
Dolemite78
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Agreed. Maybe I'll just acquire some more growlers. I have at least a week before I will bottle, maybe longer depending on my hydrometer readings. Should be ample time to load up on some Home Brew from a local place here in NM and create empty growlers.

Primary 1: Apricot Boundry Waters Wheat
Primary 2: Peach Boundry Waters Wheat
Primary 3: Watney's Cream Stout Clone
Bottled: Autumn Amber Ale
Drinking: Cherry Autumn Amber Ale
On Deck: Green Chile Ale
In the Hole: Holiday Ale

Old 09-28-2011, 04:43 PM   #4
BBL_Brewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 425 Times on 295 Posts
Likes Given: 321

I ferment in bottling buckets on occasion. Just sanitize the valve at the bottom, attach a hose and transfer to another botting bucket. You do get a hefty shot of sediment when you first crack the valve. You can dump the first cup of beer or so into a waste container to eliminate the sediment (thorw it in the fridge to settle out and then drink it). If you don't have another bottling bucket, well, I guess I would vote for adding the priming solution to the bottles vs stirring on the primary yeast cake.

Never Ending Liquid Yeast - How to Farm Yeast and Freeze it.

Old 09-28-2011, 04:49 PM   #5
Dolemite78
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I don't have another bottling bucket, wish I did. Planned on ordering one this week, but my last shipment was very slow for some reason. I may stop by my LHBS, which isn't so local, and buy one from them. My hope is that the other primary cleans up. I have it soaking in vinegar and water right now, then will rinse and add a double shot of StarSan as suggested by someone else. I can't believe how much damage the inside of my primary took just from having water and oxiclean soaking it.

Old 09-28-2011, 04:50 PM   #6
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 272 Times on 238 Posts
Likes Given: 324

Might be easiest to just grab some carb tabs from your LHBS just for this time, if you can get the carbonation levels you want with them. That way you can just drop them into the bottles and not have to stir up your trub.

I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

Old 09-28-2011, 04:57 PM   #7
bluemoose
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Whoa! If you are using the growlers for secondary with the flavoring, OK. If you are going to use them as bottles and carb them up, don't. Growlers are not meant to take the pressure built with carbing beer. I would suggest you not use the growlers for that purpose. You might try using carb tabs and dividing the flavoring into the bottles and then racking the beer into them.

Old 09-28-2011, 04:57 PM   #8
Dolemite78
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

That's a good thought, that for some reason or the other didn't cross my mind. I did just realize that I have an old Mr. Beer keg w/ a spigot, which helps me with splitting the batch to add extract, just doesn't help with the priming solution as it only holds 2.5gal. Actually I suppose I could try to split the 5oz of corn sugar in half and prime 2.5 gal at a time.. I think I just came up with my solution.

Old 09-28-2011, 04:59 PM   #9
bluemoose
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 140 Times on 103 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dolemite78 View Post
That's a good thought, that for some reason or the other didn't cross my mind. I did just realize that I have an old Mr. Beer keg w/ a spigot, which helps me with splitting the batch to add extract, just doesn't help with the priming solution as it only holds 2.5gal. Actually I suppose I could try to split the 5oz of corn sugar in half and prime 2.5 gal at a time.. I think I just came up with my solution.
Dynomite, Dolemite!

Much better solution than growlers.

Old 09-28-2011, 05:00 PM   #10
brewgasm135
Recipes 

Growlers can't handle carbing pressures? Good to know.

Primary:
Secondary:
Bottled (Aging): Jalapeno Cream Ale
Bottled (Aging): Pumpkin Spice Ale
Bottled (Drinking): Jack O' Lantern Smokes Wheat
Next Up: Oatmeal Stout

Quick Reply