New Giveaway - Wort Monster Conical Fermenter!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Had my first home brew today...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2007, 09:52 AM   #1
Chrus
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Had my first home brew today...

Well... its been a week since bottling... so I decided to crack one open and see what it was like. It kinda didnt really ferment... i saw nothing happen in the airlock the whole week it was in the fermenter... and there wasnt as much of a change between the OG and the FG as their should of been...

So anyway... as expected... it was pretty shyt...

First mouthfull...was kinda alright... then the aftertaste... that was a little off... kinda bitter/sour/just plain weird...

But yeah... i think this ones pretty much a writeoff... gonna have to get some mates to help drink it...

The second batch was bottled today... and that one actually fermented... so im looking forward to tasting that one...

Chrus

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-27-2007, 11:47 AM   #2
McCall St. Brewer
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

That sounds very unusual that your beer didn't even ferment. What kind of yeast did you use? You really didn't have any noticeable activity in your fermenter?

It is rare that people actually make undrinkable beer, but this could be an instance. If you have lttle or no alcohol there, it will not be preserved and is likely to get infected quickly.

Sounds like you had better luck the second time around.

p.s. In the future, if you do not notice visible fermentation going on within about 48 hours it's probably a good idea to do something about it. You could try: 1. If your house is too cool, move the beer to a warmer spot in your house, or 2. add some yeast nutrient, or 3. add more yeast.

Last edited by McCall St. Brewer; 03-27-2007 at 11:50 AM.

Old 03-27-2007, 01:22 PM   #3
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Do you mean "carbonate" instead of "ferment"?

Give it a couple of weeks in the bottle followed by a couple of days in the fridge. The flavors will change. Over time it will mellow and blend into something great. Unless there really is something wrong with it.

Old 03-27-2007, 01:29 PM   #4
Evan!

Recipes 

Liked 62 Times on 56 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99
Do you mean "carbonate" instead of "ferment"?

Give it a couple of weeks in the bottle followed by a couple of days in the fridge. The flavors will change. Over time it will mellow and blend into something great. Unless there really is something wrong with it.
No, he said "no activity in the airlock and no change in SG". In other words, no primary fermentation. What you have here, OP, is definitely, as you say, shyte. It's sweet wort in a bottle. I wouldn't even bother getting your friends to drink it with you. Do yourself a favor---pour all the stuff from the bottles back into your brew kettle. Bring it to boiling for 15 minutes to kill any nasties. Add back some filtered water, put it in a sanitized carboy, cool it down to under 80f, and pitch more yeast into it.

Beer without primary fermentation isn't beer at all. Next time, don't even bother bottling until fermentation has happened. Luckily, in this case, you may be able to salvage this batch.

.planned:
•Scottish 80/- •Sweet Stout •Roggenbier
.primary | bright:
98: Moss Hollow Soured '09 72: Oude Kriek 99: B-Weisse 102: Brett'd BDSA 104: Feat of Strength Helles Bock 105: Merkin Brown
.on tap | kegged:
XX: Moss Hollow Springs Sparkling Water 95: Gott Mit Uns German Pils 91b: Brown Willie's Oaked Abbey Ale 103: Merkin Stout
98: Yorkshire Special 100: Maple Porter 89: Cidre Saison 101: Steffiweizen '09 (#3)

Old 03-27-2007, 04:08 PM   #5
Chrus
Recipes 

There was definatly a problem with the fermentation... Ive been told some fermentation did take place... there was that foamy stuff on top...

Carbonation wasnt great either... bubbles where there... but nothing to write home about. (that reminds me... i got another question about that.. ill ask in a new thread though... not really related to this...)

I dont think its gonna be worth trying to save it... will probably just throw the whole batch out and start again...

Old 03-27-2007, 04:11 PM   #6
AleHole
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 1 Posts

There was a post a couple days ago from a guy in Australia about his batch sitting at around 80 F...Was that you? if so that was why you did not get any fermentation.

I may be wrong though

Old 03-27-2007, 04:29 PM   #7
Chrus
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AleHole
There was a post a couple days ago from a guy in Australia about his batch sitting at around 80 F...Was that you? if so that was why you did not get any fermentation.

I may be wrong though
Yeps... that would of been me...

But my next batch started out in the same place as that first one... and it was fermenting like crazy. I did move that one to a cooler part of the house as soon as i found out it was too hot though...

Old 03-27-2007, 05:09 PM   #8
homebrewer_99

Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 71 Posts

After all that my recommendation would be to get a hydrometer and learn how to use it...

Old 03-27-2007, 05:33 PM   #9
Willsellout

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by homebrewer_99
After all that my recommendation would be to get a hydrometer and learn how to use it...
Well if he has the SG and FG, he has a hydrometer...just happenned to have some dead yeast. I say boil it again and pitch again. It would be a shame to throw it out.

Dan
Secondary One-Empty
Secondary Two-Empty

On Tap: Hobgoblin, Coffee Stout
Bottled: Arrogant Bastard clone, Summit IPA, Apfelwein

Old 03-27-2007, 05:37 PM   #10
sirsloop
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts