Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Had to move fermenter

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2011, 06:06 AM   #1
Nigelb
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Had to move fermenter

Morning all...greetings from Johannesburg!
I'm a newb here and on my second LME at the moment. The first one went well (I think) and had been in bottles for three weeks now.
The thing is that my second LME had been in the fermented for three weeks and I had to move it a few days ago to a storage facility about a mile away.
The temp in the storage facility is pretty cold when I have been there and the temp on the carboy in the region of 10 degrees celcius.
My question is will this Cerveza still be ok to bottle and drink with the change in temp and the movement?
PS - I love this forum, it gives a newby the extra confidence needed to get into the hobby!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-08-2011, 06:48 AM   #2
akryder
Recipes 

I'd say you'll probably be OK. By moving the fermentor, you run the risk of oxidation, which can lead to wet cardboard flavors. But, I say bottle it, and and drink it. I think (and someone with more experience may correct me) it takes awhile to set in, so if if you consume it relatively quickly, you'll be ok.

The temp is good for cellaring, but it'll take awhile longer to carb up the bottles. 3 weeks at 21 deg C is a good starting point for average gravity beers. The cooler it is, the longer it'll take to carb.

I think you'll be OK, though.

Old 08-08-2011, 06:51 AM   #3
scrambledegg81
Flocculation Nation
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 38 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 88

Evening from California!

It's iffy at this point...yes, there's a solid layer of CO2 present when you're 3 weeks into fermentation, but with the amount of movement I'm predicting was involved, much of the layer may have gassed-off in the process. I'd say since you're doing a relatively simple extract batch, I'd say leave it be for now & don't touch it until your scheduled bottling/kegging day, or go right ahead & bottle it now. You should be alright, but most of the experts on here would agree that minimizing movement during fermentation is the best idea.

Primary: Nada
Secondary: The Plinian Legacy (NB clone of Pliny the Elder)
Bottled/Fridge: Firestone Easy Jack IPA
Bombers/Growlers/Aging: Firestone 17th & 18th Anniversary ales
Kegerator: Uinta Hop Notch IPA
Coming Up: something spiffy, most likely

Old 08-10-2011, 06:00 AM   #4
Nigelb
Recipes 

Thanks for the advise guys, much appreciated.
How long can I leave it for until I bottle?

Quick Reply