The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > H20...gatttoorrrrraaaaade. No really, just H20.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2009, 07:47 PM   #1
JMU_Alumn08
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default H20...gatttoorrrrraaaaade. No really, just H20.

Alright so I'm on a well system with one of those water softeners that uses salt to soften the water and supposedly nuetralize any hard elements (copper, iron, etc.?). The water tastes fine I suppose but before or salt treatment system, a reddish residue was left behind in places where the water would stand. Does the salt actually take care of this problem in regards to brewing? Also, if I was to switch to bottled Spring Water or Mineral Water or Distilled Water, which is the best for brewing? And finally is chlorine a problem in any bottled waters? Thanks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-26-2009, 07:54 PM   #2
brewingsam
Recipes 

if you had to switch from tap to anything i'd go with spring water, i've always gone with the rule of thumb being that the better the water the better the brew, if you have an artisan well, i'd go with that, short of that, spring water form the dispenser out front of the super market is a good bet,
you want water that has a little character to it, you know what i mean?

mead maker since 2004
beer brewer since 2009

when life comes at you fast, lean back and feel happy knowing that you've scattered marbles in front of it.

and when live gives you lemons, kick life in the craw and steal the lemon truck, because life drives a lemon truck you know, and drive that truck to Mexico where all your dreams come true.

Old 03-26-2009, 08:10 PM   #3
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Water that has gone through the water softener won't make great beer. I have one and have to turn it off when I get my strike water. Also I have an activated carbon filter to help get good tasting water. You may want to look into the same approach to keep excessive iron out of your beer.

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Old 03-26-2009, 08:42 PM   #4
Lancezos
Recipes 

The reddish tint would be too much iron but your water softener is probably doing a okay job of filtering it except it's removing other important minerals as well. You could try using gypsum in the water, it's suppose to harden the water and replenish those minerals.

Here's a good post I found when researching about my softener http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/well...omebrew-33699/

Old 03-26-2009, 08:46 PM   #5
conpewter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 7

The issue with water from the water softener is that it doesn't just strip the water of good minerals, it has an ion exchange with salt. You get a crapload of salt in the water and that doesn't make the best beer (drinkable yes, but not the best).

"People should not be afraid of their governments. Governments should be afraid of their people." - V

Primary: Nothin
Secondary: Shady Lord RIS, Water to Barleywine, Pumpkin wine, burnt mead
Kegged: Crappy infected mild
Bottles: Apfelwein, 999 Barleywine, Oatmeal Stout, Robust Porter, Robust smoked porter, Simcoe Smash

Quick Reply