Spike Brewing 12.5 Conical Fermenter Giveaway - Enter Now!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Gushers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2010, 03:10 PM   #11
Justibone
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynachrome View Post
Justibone
what about secondary? How do you time it? Do you need to leave some of the original sugar?
In wine, you rack off the lees (trub, sediment... all the same stuff) at about halfway through the fermentation. Since beer is so much different, it's not really necessary, so most people don't. Usually when a beer brewer is doing a secondary they are 1) perfectionist 2) clear beer fans or 3) making a doozie of a big ol' beer.

If you want less gunk in your bottles, and you have a big fridge, you could always cold crash your beer just before bottling. The cold temperatures will help the yeast to settle out a little better.

I don't think you need a secondary... I think something else is responsible for your issues.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-27-2010, 05:17 PM   #12
Chombo
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
We need more info before folks start armchair theorizing. Let's get down to basics.

How are you bottling your beer, bulk or individually?
How much sugar are you using?
What temp are bottling at?
Do you crash cool or not?
What temp are you storing them at?
Thanks everyone this is all great insight!

to answer Revvys Questions:

Bottling in bulk
3/4 cup per 5 gallon batch, sometimes 3/4 cup for 5.5 gallons
bottling at around around ~20C (~68F)
no crash cool
i store them at around ~20C for bottle conditioning

More info: *Most* (not all, i check clear ones for organic material) of the gushers have been in ceramic bottles with swing top caps, i cant see inside of them for any gunk, but i always soak them in bleach/water mixture (tsp bleach per gallon of water) the night before bottling day and rinse well before i sanatize with starsan right before i bottle. they have never had off flavors so im not convinced its an infection.

when i prime i boil the dextrose in 2 pints of water, then pour in the carboy then gently mix with my long stir rod (as to not disturb trum that much) and let it sit for 20-25 minutes.

could the inside of ceramic bottles be textured or something causing gushing? the original beers didnt gush (maybe because yeast was filtered from them) also there is always a good 1/8 inch of trub at the bottom of my bottles.

Old 05-28-2010, 03:18 PM   #13
Dynachrome
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 469

..minie - the beer is great - not sour or anything. It's got to be not re-mixing the priming sugar as I progress or more yeast in the last couple bottles (?).

I'm thinking an auxilliary fridge is in my future.

I'm kind of starting to think about clear beer for my friends. I don't mind some floaties.....

Old 05-28-2010, 04:03 PM   #14
Homercidal
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 2031 Times on 1460 Posts
Likes Given: 1115

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chombo View Post
Thanks everyone this is all great insight!

to answer Revvys Questions:

Bottling in bulk
3/4 cup per 5 gallon batch, sometimes 3/4 cup for 5.5 gallons
bottling at around around ~20C (~68F)
no crash cool
i store them at around ~20C for bottle conditioning

More info: *Most* (not all, i check clear ones for organic material) of the gushers have been in ceramic bottles with swing top caps, i cant see inside of them for any gunk, but i always soak them in bleach/water mixture (tsp bleach per gallon of water) the night before bottling day and rinse well before i sanatize with starsan right before i bottle. they have never had off flavors so im not convinced its an infection.

when i prime i boil the dextrose in 2 pints of water, then pour in the carboy then gently mix with my long stir rod (as to not disturb trum that much) and let it sit for 20-25 minutes.

could the inside of ceramic bottles be textured or something causing gushing? the original beers didnt gush (maybe because yeast was filtered from them) also there is always a good 1/8 inch of trub at the bottom of my bottles.
I've only ever had 1 gusher, and you could actually see the gunk on the bottom of the bottle from being unclean. Guess I missed one. I have since gone to soaking overnight in hot oxyclean. Even then, I've found bottles that did not come clean. They get pitched.

I'd try and find a way to check the cleanliness of your bottles. The gunk that often collects on the bottom can and will harbor bacteria that will cause gushers.

Old 05-28-2010, 05:38 PM   #15
Malintent
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chombo View Post
I don't think the intention was to imply infection, but an inconsistency in how much yeast is in the bottle... I think.
Quote:
the yeast at the bottom is normal (don't drink it - it'll make ya fart till ya blow an o-ring).

Interesting idea about the interior texture - no idea... I would think that would effect a pour, not just opening.

I was thinking light level differences? The opaque bottles "do better" than the clear(er) ones <shrug>?

Quick Reply