Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Gunk ring in fermenter mixing back into beer

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2010, 08:40 PM   #1
nasmeyer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Gunk ring in fermenter mixing back into beer

I opened my primary fermenter on day 8 to take a gravity reading and noticed that some of the gunk ring that sticks to the plastic above the beer level during early fermentation, had disolved or just slid back down the side and into the beer. I can see a disolved ring of the stuff floating on the surface near the edge. I don't think I disturbed the Ale Pail either. I have never noticed this before and wondered if other people have had this happen. I will assume it is somewhat normal, but am concerned it will make my beer more bitter than expected. I would also assume racking to a secondary ASAP might keep this to a minimun in the future?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-25-2010, 09:22 PM   #2
ReverseApacheMaster
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 229 Times on 192 Posts

Yeah, some of it slides back in or falls back in, particularly if you move the bucket. It's no big deal. I've had it happen to some degree with most of my batches and never had it turn out bitter.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply