Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Guinness extra stout recipe

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2010, 12:20 AM   #1
Metsbrew
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Guinness extra stout recipe

I'm looking for a partial mash extra stout recipe. I had one for the first time this weekend. It was pretty good, much better than the draught. Anyone know where I can get a recipe for the extra stout that we have in here in the u.s.? I have a clone brew book, but it is the one sold in great britain.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-28-2010, 12:57 AM   #2
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Try BYO's 150 Clone Beers issue. I believe they had both types of guiness in there. I don't have mine handy or I'd post it for you.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 01-28-2010, 02:04 AM   #3
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

So, after looking at my clone recipe book, they do in fact have a recipe. However, it's an AG recipe that I wouldn't feel comfortable converting to PM. Also, in order to get a good clone, the instructions get pretty tricky.

The recipe is actually 3 brews combined into one. The first is a typical pale malt base that you ferment at 68F. The second is a "coloring extract" that involves a few pounds of base malt and all of the specialty malts. You then reduce this to get a very dark 1 gallon beer. Ferment this at 70F. The third involves pulling 19oz. of beer from the first beer after the yeast has been pitched but before fermentation starts. Put this 19oz in a seperate sanitized jug and ferment it at 75F for 2-3 months with Brett yeast.

When all three beers are done fermenting, you combine them and bottle immediately. This is a very in depth clone and I don't know if you can really match it with a PM recipe.

Another HERMS rig...

Old 01-28-2010, 11:40 AM   #4
Metsbrew
Recipes 

Thanks anyhow. And yes that is way to complicates for me. This is only my second batch. What do u think of this recipe http://www.thewitchesbrew.com/index....d=22&Itemid=47
thanks again

Old 01-28-2010, 04:07 PM   #5
iron_city_ap
Recipes 

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suthrncomfrt1884 View Post
This is a very in depth clone and I don't know if you can really match it with a PM recipe.
From what I've read, the actual Guiness recipe is very complex and sounds pretty similar to what you just described. I'd guess this one is pretty close to the real thing.

Old 01-28-2010, 05:49 PM   #6
Suthrncomfrt1884
Recipes 

Metsbrew, after looking at that recipe, I doubt it'll taste much like guiness. It's a little short on roasted barley, and a lot short on flaked barley. The addition of acid malt won't give you the same sourness you get from a guiness either...IMHO. Also, the hops are completely wrong...not that hops are a huge issue in a stout though.

It looks like a good recipe though, if you try it, let us know how it turns out.

Another HERMS rig...

Quick Reply