Guinness clone help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mahilly

Reaction score
I'm thinking of trying out this Guinness clone for my next brew: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/all-grain-guiness-draught-clone-100740/
Can someone help me convert this to an extract recipe. Is it as simple as substituting a comparable DME or LME for the 8 Lbs. Pale Malt, and using the rest as steeping grains??? If so, what type of extract, and how much will I need? Or am I way off base here?

OR, if someone has different extract Guinness clone recipe, I am open to suggestions.

Side note: I just brewed yesterday (a blonde ale) and I am already thinking about my next batch. Do I have a problem?

Sub out my base malt for 6# Light DME and Steep the rest of it. As for the other question...No you don't have a problem I have 7 brews lined up So Im thinking way outside the box.

You can't steep the 3 lbs of flaked barley in the original recipe. You'd have to do a partial mash to convert the starches into sugars. You'd need at least 1.5 lbs of pale malt with the 3 lbs of flaked barley to have the enzymatic power to convert.

If you want to do this as an extract brew, you'll have to get rid of the flaked barley and up the extract volume to account for both the pale malt & the flaked barley.

I used to drink guinness ALL the time, now its been about 2 years since I had one as I got into sampling all kinds of craft beers, so anywho, I had one the other day WOW not the "thick stuff" I remembered! It was as watery at bud light to me... how strange is that? And NOT very "strong" tasting. Thats funny how good beer can change your palate. I guess the real guinness in dublin is different. But the ones we buy here in America... not so great.

Thanks, RICLARK! I would have assumed dark extract - must be the steeping grains that provide the dark Guinness color?

Yes. The main problem with dark extract is that you don't really know what the extract company used to make it dark. Black Patent? Roasted Barley? Dark Crystal? some blend? It is always preferable to use specialty grains for your coloring so that you also have an idea how they will affect the flavor.

Thanks for the feedback everyone - good stuff! I also read the "similar threads" below and have a few more questions:

1. Toying with the idea of doing a partial mash - never done one though. Can I pull it off with the same equipment I have been using for extract/steeping grain batches? I only have one 5 gal. brew pot and another 8 qt. pot. (I could also borrow SWIMBO's 8 qt. stew pot, but it's Teflon). Deathbrewer's sticky on easy partial mash uses two 5 gal. pots. So, am I equipped for partial mash? If not, what else do I need?

2. I am also considering one of AHB's stout kits but never ordered from AHB before. Do their kits specifically list all of the ingredients? The kits at my LHBS only use general terms for the ingredients (i.e., "bag of extract", "bag of steeping grains", "pack bittering hops", etc.) but not the actual names/types. I just want to know exactly what I am brewing if I decide to go with a kit.

(edit) 3. I currently have a Blonde ale fermenting with Nottingham. If I time the Guinness clone right, can I pour it on top of the Nottingham yeast cake? Or would Nottingham not be good yeast for a stout?

Here's my recipe for an Irish stout I made in time for St. Paddy's day. It turned out very good and I do believe I got some creaminess from the flaked barley. It was lighter than a Guiness so you may want to add a little more of the roasted barley (black barley). Otherwise it was great. At 50deg F, it even had a nice somewhat creamy head.

Nichole's Dry Irish Stout 3/09
Dry Stout

Type: Extract
Date: 2/27/2009
Batch Size: 4.80 gal
Brewer: Adrian Lee
Boil Size: 3.85 gal Asst Brewer: Nichole
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Brew Pot (5 Gallon)
Taste Rating(out of 50): 40.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: -
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
2.00 lb Light Dry Extract (8.0 SRM) Dry Extract 25.40 %
4.00 lb UltraLight Liquid extract (4.0 SRM) Extract 50.79 %
0.63 lb Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 7.94 %
0.63 lb Black Barley (Stout) (500.0 SRM) Grain 7.94 %
0.63 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 75L (75.0 SRM) Grain 7.94 %
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (60 min) Hops 7.8 IBU
1.00 oz Target [8.00 %] (60 min) Hops 25.0 IBU
0.50 oz Goldings, East Kent [4.20 %] (5 min) Hops 1.3 IBU

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.050 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.050 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.013 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.011 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 4.81 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 5.08 %
Bitterness: 34.1 IBU Calories: 221 cal/pint
Est Color: 30.6 SRM Color: Color

Mash Profile

Mash Name: None Total Grain Weight: 10.00 lb
Sparge Water: - Grain Temperature: -
Sparge Temperature: - TunTemperature: -
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE Mash PH: -

Steep grains as desired (30-60 minutes)

Mash Notes: -
Carbonation and Storage

Carbonation Type: Corn Sugar Volumes of CO2: 2.2
Pressure/Weight: 3.1 oz Carbonation Used: -
Keg/Bottling Temperature: 60.0 F Age for: 28.0 days
Storage Temperature: 52.0 F

I would probably do the kit first, see how that turns out, compare it to the other recipe, and maybe make a few of your own changes

Thanks for the feedback everyone - good stuff! I also read the "similar threads" below and have a few more questions:

1. Toying with the idea of doing a partial mash - never done one though. Can I pull it off with the same equipment I have been using for extract/steeping grain batches? I only have one 5 gal. brew pot and another 8 qt. pot. (I could also borrow SWIMBO's 8 qt. stew pot, but it's Teflon). Deathbrewer's sticky on easy partial mash uses two 5 gal. pots. So, am I equipped for partial mash? If not, what else do I need?

2. I am also considering one of AHB's stout kits but never ordered from AHB before. Do their kits specifically list all of the ingredients? The kits at my LHBS only use general terms for the ingredients (i.e., "bag of extract", "bag of steeping grains", "pack bittering hops", etc.) but not the actual names/types. I just want to know exactly what I am brewing if I decide to go with a kit.

(edit) 3. I currently have a Blonde ale fermenting with Nottingham. If I time the Guinness clone right, can I pour it on top of the Nottingham yeast cake? Or would Nottingham not be good yeast for a stout?

1. Take a look at Deathbrewer's partial mash tutorial. But, generally speaking, the steep is very much like the partial mash. You could use any of the pots you mentioned.

2. Yes, their recipes list each ingredient, and have very good instructions along with everything you need. You may need a grain bag for a partial mash, but otherwise, it's all there.

3. Nottingham is cheap, and you probably don't want to put a Guiness clone on it. The OG wouldn't be very high, so you'd be overpitching the yeast by quite a bit. I'd just buy a new package of yeast. You could try a different dry yeast, like S04, if you'd like.

Back