Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Growth in a bottle

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-04-2011, 01:37 AM   #1
Jshine42
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Growth in a bottle

I wanted to alleviate some fears of mine (and my wifes as she tried a sip). I bottled my Belgian Wit to bottles last week and today I threw my first into the fridge. It tasted nice and light with a very carbonated start to the glass. I poured out the first half (22oz) and it was great. But when I went back to pour the 2nd half of the bottle some black chunks came out in my glass. Upon further inspection of the bottle, there was a growth at the bottom and one piece on the side of the bottle on the inside.
I also inspected a number of other bottles from the batch and they don't have this same growth. I'm suspecting it (this bottle) didn't get cleaned as good as it could have. I bottle washed good but I suspect something was left over.
Here's my question. Am I going to start Puking? Not sure what all that was but I wanted to put it to smarter heads than I.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-04-2011, 02:06 AM   #2
gcdowd
Hopalicious
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 191 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Only one way to find out. Does it smell ok?

God invented whiskey to keep the Irish from ruling the world.

Old 10-04-2011, 02:11 AM   #3
Jshine42
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcdowd View Post
Only one way to find out. Does it smell ok?
Smells fine and tastes good. my FG was a bit lower than expected. 1.009 instead on 1.012

Old 10-04-2011, 02:18 AM   #4
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 1192

Your not talking about the yeast sediment,from bottle conditoning are you?

Old 10-04-2011, 02:18 AM   #5
starrfish
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 25

bottle carbing will have a mini trub in the bottle as long as there is not a ring around the neck of the bottle and a sour taste you will be fine. there is nothing in an infected (sour) beer that will make you ill. look into sour beers = bacteria. mmmm makes some yummy beers! just need time to age out. BUT I don't think this is your case. just bottle carbed yeasty chunks. (loaded with b vitamins) good to prevent hangover on over indulgence of home brew!

“Son, you are a walking violation of the laws of nature, but you’re lucky, we don't enforce them laws.”

Old 10-04-2011, 02:21 AM   #6
jonmohno
Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 361 Posts
Likes Given: 1192

Be more gentle with your bottles save the last quarter inch, i usually swirl it and dump into my glass taking a vitamin B shot from it after i drank the beer. Then rinse the bottle out good since i reuse them.

Old 10-04-2011, 02:24 AM   #7
Jshine42
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

No it wasn't the yeast sediment. its a black growth at the bottom this is my 2nd batch of beer. I did have 2 oz of bitter orange peel in the final boil so it already has a "sour" taste just like a pre-oranged drink. I did open a 2nd bottle and there wasn't the same growth at the bottom. I'm thinking just this one bottle had it. Even if it is a bit sour I'm one that likes that fermented ales so no loss for me.

Old 10-04-2011, 02:30 AM   #8
gtpro
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

a lot of higher filamentous fungi love eating yeast, if you leave a coating at the bottom of your bottles you end up with some pretty interesting looking stuff.

Old 10-04-2011, 10:12 AM   #9
jburk
Recipes 

Odds are you didn't clean it well enough. I've found mold in the bottom of bottles before after pouring out the contents. I avoid the mold, but never had any problems from the drinking the beer on top of it.

Old 10-04-2011, 03:12 PM   #10
Jshine42
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jburk View Post
Odds are you didn't clean it well enough. I've found mold in the bottom of bottles before after pouring out the contents. I avoid the mold, but never had any problems from the drinking the beer on top of it.
That's what I was thinking after reviewing the few bottles I've opened and I chekced a few others that were aging. I have a bottle washer but time for a bottle brush to get the junk outa this one. I'd love to keg but alas the financies prevent it. I'd rather brew more beer than spend the cash on a keg system.

Quick Reply