Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Grolsch Premium Lager (swing top) beer...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2008, 05:36 PM   #1
Kiwi_Jonno
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Grolsch Premium Lager (swing top) beer...

I was walking past the imported beer row in the supermarket, as you do. I saw an over priced 473mL (yes 473, weird number I know), bottle of Grolsch Premium Lager (swing top) beer from Holland. I brought it more for its looks then anything else, as it was pretty high in price considering.

After I consumed it (and very nice too BTW), it got me thinking about the swing top. Why isn't it used much? The beer was well carbonated. Does anyone use these bottles, or others similar for homebrew? Is there any reason why you couldn't?

The swing top needed a decent amount of pressure to tighten, so should have a good seal. I was thinking of trying one instead of a PET bottle...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-29-2008, 05:44 PM   #2
BlindLemonLars
Conqueroo Brew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 31

They aren't used commercially much because crown-cap bottles are cheaper and easier to deal with in automated bottling plants.

Homebrewers however, use them all the time! Most of us probably value Grolsch bottles more than the beer they once contained. You can also buy empty swing-tops, in clear, brown and blue glass. All work fine, but brown is the best for beer as it blocks UV light that can cause hops to taste "skunky."

Old 04-29-2008, 05:49 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4283 Times on 3121 Posts
Likes Given: 830

Yep, what he said. I have about 5 cases of Grolsch bottles (16 ounce size) and LOVE them for bottling homebrew. Since they are green, I just keep them out of the light- but I do that anyway. I also use those Grolsch bottles to hold my washed yeast until I need it. I even put my ghetto wine (made from Welch's grape juice) in those bottles.

I think the Grolsch we get here tends to be skunky, so I don't really enjoy drinking the beer in the bottles. But I do love those bottles!

Old 04-29-2008, 05:51 PM   #4
Donasay
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I have several cases of the old brown grolsch bottles, I don't use them much any more, but if I ever bottle anything they are the first ones I use.

No matter how rich you are, you can still only drink 16 or 17 liters of beer a day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quixotic View Post
The true definition of an addiction: not stopping even when a dog is having his way with you.:D
http://www.solutionsinmetal.com/

Old 04-29-2008, 05:54 PM   #5
Kiwi_Jonno
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Oh wow... had no idea these were used. If only they weren't about $4 a bottle to buy down here! Have never had a skunky beer in NZ which is surprising since we're so far away.

Quick Reply