Kegconnection Complete Starter Kit and More Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > "Green" yeasty flavors/odors after 3 weeks in bottles?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-05-2009, 12:41 AM   #1
BrewBalls
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default "Green" yeasty flavors/odors after 3 weeks in bottles?

A golden ale that I had in the primary for 3 weeks then bottled. There were still plenty of yeast clumps floating around in the fermentor at bottling time. Not a dense yeast sludge at the bottom either. I tried to siphon away and filter as much of that stuff as possible. The yeast is compacted on the bottom of the bottles just fine, but a few (not all) have some fine particles floating around when that I can see when hold the bottle up to some light.

The taste/odor is not that different from a sample I took a week ago.

Does this batch just suck or can it still get decent with more time in the fridge?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-05-2009, 12:48 AM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2711 Times on 1629 Posts
Likes Given: 3484

Actually if the beer is on the fridge...I would take them out and leave them at rooom temp so the yeast can do their job and condition the beer...it's "green" so it needs more time...come back to it in a couple weeks.....

If you haven't already, read my blog Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning.

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 11-05-2009, 01:37 AM   #3
HiGravShawn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Bottle conditioning needs to be room temp or the yeast is sleeping or at least chilled out to the max. After at least three weeks at room temp it should be conditioned and mellowed and then you can fridge it to age.

ShawnD

Old 11-05-2009, 02:20 AM   #4
GalenSevinne
Recipes 

i have done three brews now and I am trying to wait 8 weeks now before drinking them. after three weeks they might be okay but not what i would say to be good beer. around 8 weeks, completely different story.

"G" Scotch ale
Tupleo Honey IPA
Dead Brown Mouse Ale

Old 11-05-2009, 05:42 AM   #5
chemman14
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 77

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalenSevinne View Post
i have done three brews now and I am trying to wait 8 weeks now before drinking them. after three weeks they might be okay but not what i would say to be good beer. around 8 weeks, completely different story.
I agree with that 100%

Old 11-05-2009, 09:01 PM   #6
BrewBalls
Recipes 

yeah i took it out of the fridge and I'll wait a few more weeks. probably wont even sample another one for at least 2 more weeks

Quick Reply