Electric Brewing Supply 30A BCS Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Green Beer... What does this mean????

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-14-2008, 06:15 PM   #1
volcom579
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Green Beer... What does this mean????

So i hear alot of people talking about someones beer being green beer. i know this doesnt mean their beer is the color green but somthing else. maybe has to do with age? i dont know, could some please explain this to me

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2008, 06:17 PM   #3
c.n.budz

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts

It means the beer is still young and needs to condition longer for the flavors to develop properly

Always do sober what you do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. -Ernest Hemingway

Old 03-14-2008, 06:20 PM   #4
volcom579
Recipes 

can i age a green beer that has already been chilled and carbonated???? what is the best way to age your beer after it has finished fermentation??? my first batch isnt tasting as flavorful as i expected but the process only took 2 weeks so.......

Old 03-14-2008, 06:23 PM   #5
c.n.budz

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 18 Posts

Just store the bottles at room temp. At only 2 weeks the beer definitely needs some more time. They'll get better, trust me.

Always do sober what you do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut. -Ernest Hemingway

Old 03-14-2008, 06:33 PM   #6
volcom579
Recipes 

does it make a difference if my beer is in a keg and i forced carbonated it rather than bottle conditioning???
just FYI since all beers have different processes. i brewed a belgian wit with dry extra light and wheat extract and added some orange peel, corriander and honey for some flavor at the end of the boil.

Old 03-14-2008, 06:33 PM   #7
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 85 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by volcom579
can i age a green beer that has already been chilled and carbonated???? what is the best way to age your beer after it has finished fermentation??? my first batch isnt tasting as flavorful as i expected but the process only took 2 weeks so.......
You can age beer cold or at room temperature. It's mostly a matter of the style you are brewing and what you are trying the achieve.
Because I have limited space and equipment, all of my ales go through pretty much the same procedure: 2-3 weeks in primary at room temperature after fermentation completes, 3-6 weeks in bottles at room temperature, 1 week in bottles in the fridge. Heavier ales would benefit from a longer aging period at room temperature. Hybrids and lagers are a different story altogether, since they need to be kept cool or cold pretty much from beginning to end.
Kegged: Fat Man Porter w/ 1469, Fat Man Porter w/ 005, Centennial Falcon w/ Conan, Centennial Falcon w/ Denny's, Barrel-aged Fat Man Porter, Belgian Dark Strong, Dark Mild

Old 03-14-2008, 07:18 PM   #8
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 135 Times on 128 Posts

Yeast put out all sorts of chemicals in addition to alcohol and CO2. Conditioning gives the remaining yeast time to "chew" through the junk. For some yeasts, the junk is part of the style.

If the beer is kegged & carbed, just let it sit at room temperature for two weeks.

Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 03-14-2008, 07:34 PM   #9
uuurang
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Ageing helps to clarify too.

I've been visiting some brewpubs in Portland, OR and it seems "green" is the "in" way to serve beer...or they just don't have the time and/or capacity to age.

Being a home brewer I feel that I can make something of a judgement call on such matters.

"Labor is prior to, and independent of, capital. Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if labor had not first existed. Labor is the superior of capital, and deserves much the higher consideration." Lincoln's First Annual Message to Congress, December 3, 1861.

Old 03-14-2008, 07:37 PM   #10
dblvsn

Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

greenbeer.jpg
Green beer. I'll be hoisting a few of those on St. Pats!

Quick Reply