Happy HolidaySs Giveaway - Winners Re-Re-Re-Re-Drawn - 24 hours to Claim!

Get your HBT Growlers, Shirts and Membership before the Rush!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Green beer taste

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2009, 06:27 PM   #1
Brewenstein
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Green beer taste

I brewed my first batch (Brewer's Best Robust Porter) last Friday and my second today (pale ale from a Winemaker's kit) - wanted to get my pipeline going . After I got today's batch into the primary, I opened up the porter to get a SG reading. Initial was 1.048 and now it is 1.022. It is supposed to be around 1.015, so I think that is going well. Now for the question. I put some into a snifter style glass for a taste. Upon smelling it, I was pleased - it is getting there. The taste was a little bitter, which I expected, but it also tasted watered down. Is this normal (the watery taste) for a beer 1 week into it?

Thanks in advance. This forum rocks. I have learned so much in just a couple of weeks!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-18-2009, 06:35 PM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2775 Times on 1659 Posts
Likes Given: 3489

Never ever judge a beer until it has been carbed and conditioned At least three weeks in the bottle...sometimes 6-8. It sounds like you are tasting it in the fermenter, your beer is still fermenting, it is going to go through a huge amount of changes or the next few weeks....or months depending on the beer...

Read these and relax.

Of patience and Bottle Conditioning

This will give some some extreme examples of how a beer will change in the bottle over time.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/neve...en-beer-73254/

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-18-2009, 06:37 PM   #3
Nurmey
I love making Beer

Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 26 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Watery is what we hear most often when folks try their young, uncarbonated beer. Carbonation helps with mouth feel and aging changes (improves) the taste considerably.

Old 04-18-2009, 07:00 PM   #4
Brewenstein
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Thanks guys. I know that this isn't going to be the final taste of the beer, but I wanted to know if this was appropriate at this stage of the game. That way when it turns out great (hopefully), I will know what to expect along the way.

Revvy,

I have read those posts and they were very informative. They are helping me with my impatience. Thanks.

Old 04-18-2009, 07:12 PM   #5
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewenstein View Post
Thanks guys. I know that this isn't going to be the final taste of the beer, but I wanted to know if this was appropriate at this stage of the game. That way when it turns out great (hopefully), I will know what to expect along the way.

Revvy,

I have read those posts and they were very informative. They are helping me with my impatience. Thanks.
Thanks, that's what they are there for.

I think that the need for patience in all aspects of this hobby, is the most important, yet least stressed in books and kit instructions....

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 04-18-2009, 09:40 PM   #6
ArcaneXor
Recipes 

Liked 91 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 17

To throw in my $0.02, it's rarely a good idea to taste a fermenting beer.

Once you've hit your final gravity, though, you *should* taste your hydrometer samples, because over time you'll develop an innate sense for how the final beer will taste, even if the sample is green, warm and uncarbonated. Until you have that experience, just taste it and accept all the flaws (unless it tastes sour) - the final beer will be fine. If the sample tastes sour, you may have an infection, but even most of those end up producing very drinkable beers with some age (being careful to vent the bottles from time to time to prevent bottle bombs due to overcarbonation).

Kegged: Porter, Scottish 80, Pils, Orange Blossom Mead

Old 04-18-2009, 10:39 PM   #7
Revvy

Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcaneXor View Post
To throw in my $0.02, it's rarely a good idea to taste a fermenting beer.

Once you've hit your final gravity, though, you *should* taste your hydrometer samples, because over time you'll develop an innate sense for how the final beer will taste, even if the sample is green, warm and uncarbonated. Until you have that experience, just taste it and accept all the flaws (unless it tastes sour) - the final beer will be fine. If the sample tastes sour, you may have an infection, but even most of those end up producing very drinkable beers with some age (being careful to vent the bottles from time to time to prevent bottle bombs due to overcarbonation).
+1 to this....

Old 04-18-2009, 10:50 PM   #8
Kauai_Kahuna
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

Brewenstein - I agree, once your first couple of batches are done your be able to relax and not feel the need to open up the primary until it is done. (of course I primary in glass so I can see what's going on). But I alwasy taste my sample readings, usually at 1 to three weeks.
Welcome to the addiction.

---
In Primary: Belgium Chimay clones.
In Secondary: Braggot, pale ale, end of the world white.
Conditioning: Mead, Cider, braggot, Belgium Wheat.
On Tap: Clones, Chimay Blue, Red, Porter, malted cider.
Bottles: Far, far, too many to list.

Old 04-18-2009, 10:56 PM   #9
BierMuncher
...My Junk is Ugly...
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 613 Times on 355 Posts
Likes Given: 231

Early on, it doesn't hurt to taste your beers at different stages of their progress. As long as you aren't setting expectations it's fine...it's called learning.

Especially when you begin replicating your favorite recipes, having that familiar (albeit a bit nasty) flavor will remind you you're doing it right.

Certainly you've seen those pictures of brewmasters drawing a ladle of beer out of a bright tank and tasting it. I doubt they're thinking..."oh sh!t...this beer tastes too watery...better toss it..."

Thin and watery is normal at this stage. Enjoy your process. Taste at will...but know that your beers' peak is still weeks away.

Check Out My Rolling Kegerator

BierMuncher Tried & Trues:
Tits-Up IIPA (3-Time Medalist), Black Pearl Porter, Kona Pale Ale, Outer Limits IPA, Centennial Blonde (4.0%), Nierra Sevada (SNPA), SWMBO Slayer Belgian Blonde,

Quick Reply