Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > "Green Beer." Can someone describe it?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2009, 03:29 PM   #1
ewtotel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default "Green Beer." Can someone describe it?

I hear a lot of talk about beer being too "green." The problem is, I have no idea what "green" tastes like.

I had a couple batches with a funny, almost "green apple" flavor in them, and one of my friends said it could be a product of incomplete fermentation. I replaced the kit yeast with a package of yeast from my local supplier on my last batch. I just opened a bottle after two weeks in the bottle (I know, perhaps a bit early, but I wanted a taste soooo bad) and it's much better, but still has a very, very faint sour apple flavor.

Does this sound like the "green beer" flavor? If not, can someone describe what the green beer flavor tastes like?

Thanks

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-01-2009, 03:41 PM   #2
andre the giant

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

For me, green beer usually tastes unbalanced. The hop flavor may be too strong, or beer may be too malty, or too sweet. There may be an astringent taste or tart taste from the yeast that hasn't settled. As the beer ages, these characteristics mellow out or change slightly.

That being said, the first 21 batches I brewed were kits which featured a pouch ofliquid malt extract. It seems like most of the batches came out with a faint apple type flavor as you describe. At other times, it tasted like the extract had been carmelized a bit. I eventually blamed the extract, since the flavor went away when I switched to all grain brewing. I may have been wrong, who knows.

So... when you are stirring in extract, be sure to pour it in slowly, and make sure it doesn't settle to the bottom of the kettle where the heat from the burner may cause it to scorch and caramelize. Also, some yeasts can produce tart flavors.

Regardless, give it time, if the flavor is faint, it will most likely fade as the beer ages.

After a year of sitting idle, Andre's All-Grain Brewery has reopened.
Batch #59-Kolsch (Secondary)
Batch #60-Blueberry Ale (Primary)

Old 05-01-2009, 04:22 PM   #3
lowlife
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Green beer- I can describe it but in reality you should experience it yourself. Drink one beer every week after brewing (or just a hydo samples worth)and you will notice the changes that occur.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:46 PM   #4
Matt Up North
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I totally agree with lowlife. Green beer is something that can be described, but has to be experienced. Green is harsher and more vibrant. Once it has had time, it really mellows and comes together as beer. My stouts are really bitter coffee at first and mellow like a nice dark chocolate over a month or so.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:50 PM   #5
pkpdogg
Recipes 

+1 to the previous comments. I like to drink one bottle every week after bottling so I can see how it develops. Keep doing this and the changes will amaze you. The best description I can give to "green beer" is that it just tastes "empty". Where you expect some body underneath the initial flavor ... it just ain't there. It typically develops over time, unless your recipe is lacking.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:52 PM   #6
Grinder12000
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Green Apple is SORT of a start. But yea - it's not a 100% description.

It's sort of something that does not taste BAD but . . . young. Probably what a lot of people say "it has that home brew flavor" meaning who ever brewed it is drinking it 3 weeks from bottling.

ewtotel - you are on the right track. Once you get more batches in your belly and you can see how a beer develops over time you will know what green means

Grinders Island Brewery - Pipeline

Bottled! Award winning East India Porter, Oatmeal Stout, Milk Stout, Saison fermenting at a nice controlled 85 degrees (up from 70) as it should be - weird isn't it.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:53 PM   #7
Joos
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 7 Posts

I think it has a lot to do with the style of beer too.I agree with the posts above especially with darker beers.What Iv'e noticed with lighter ones(blondes/browns etc.)Is not only the taste but the mouthfeel is waaay low.Almost watery.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:55 PM   #8
feedbag
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 2

From howtobrew.com, chapter 21 in the book.

Acetaldehyde
A flavor of green apples or freshly cut pumpkin; it is an intermediate compound in the formation of alcohol. Some yeast strains produce more than others, but generally it's presence indicates that the beer is too young and needs more time to condition.

Old 05-01-2009, 07:57 PM   #9
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2731 Times on 1638 Posts
Likes Given: 3485

I agree with everyone else, BUT I will add, that many new brewers who describe grean beer have use green apple in their descriptions. SO that is can be a valid descriptor for one of the off flavors that will fade with bottle conditioning.

You will also find some more descriptors if you scroll down to all the similar threads in the "similar threads" box below.

Basically if the beer is less than about 2 months in the bottle, and just doesn't taste right to you, 99% of the time the beer is indeed green....and if you go back in another month or 6 or a year you will usually find that your beer now is amazing...that's why we say never dump a beer you don't like, unless it is truly infected...because most "off flavors" taste inthe first few weeks, are not really off but byproducts created during fermentation, and since the yeast are tenacious and clean creatures, given enough time they will consume that stuff...plus CO2 in solution for awhile seems to have a similar effect of mellowing out the flavors..

Besides the threads below, here's a couple of mine...

Revvy's Blog-Of Patience and bottle conditioning.

This is sort of an extreme case..

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/neve...en-beer-73254/

Like my snazzy new avatar? Get Sons of Zymurgy swag, here, and brew with the best.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 05-01-2009, 08:00 PM   #10
StunnedMonkey
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Honestly, as with most things the best descriptions are visual.

Tap 4:Old Ale
Tap 5:IPA

Quick Reply