Ss Brewing Technologies Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Gravety question

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2012, 11:09 AM   #1
Fredie_T
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Gravety question

I brewed up a 2.5 gal batch of diablo brew. The OG was 1.08 I fermented for 9 days. The air lock would still bubble about once a minute so I decided to rack it into a second fermenter in hopes to not have it take on an off taste. After I did this I took another gravity reading and got 1.04. I know I should have done this first but didn't think about it till after. I noticed now that the air lock is no longer bubbling and wanted to know if this will affect the beer at all and if the longer it sits in the second fermentation if the gravity will drop down to a 1.01?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-26-2012, 11:35 AM   #2
Matt3989
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The air lock is not a good indicator of gravity, your beer is still fine, right now i would imagine that the yeasts are processing the new o2 they were exposed to. And even if some are still producing co2 and alcohol from the sugar, others are in the aerobic stage sucking in enough of the oxygen so that the airlock won't bubble for a while.

Old 10-26-2012, 11:40 AM   #3
frazier
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 7

If you started at 1.080, it's highly unlikely you'll get to 1.010. Especially now that you've transferred.

The keys to good attenuation:
-- Highly fermentable wort (what was the recipe / mash temperature?)
-- Good oxygenation prior to pitching;
-- A big, healthy starter, especially for bigger beers.

And as for "in hopes to not have it take on an off taste", you're more likely to acquire it from transferring, than by not transferring.

~
"Anything worth doing, is worth doing slowly." ~~ Mae West

Old 10-26-2012, 02:01 PM   #4
TopherM
Vinz Clortho - the Keymaster of Gozer the Gozerian
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 410 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
I decided to rack it into a second fermenter in hopes to not have it take on an off taste.
Please explain your reasoning here. I think you have a misconception or need some education on what causes off-flavors.

You really don't need to rack to secondary for a typical brew, but if you do, you still want to stay in primary until after you reach FG. You need the large yeast colony in the primary to complete the fermentation, and they will also eat up most common off-flavor compounds if you give them another 3-5 days AFTER fermentation. Don't worry about the airlock, it doesn't mean that much. If you just get in the habit of doing a 2-3 week primary fermentation for most beers (unless the style dictates otherwise), you'll end up with a much better, more consistent end product.

Primary #1 - Oktoberfest
Primary #2 - Chamomile Honey Wheat
Primary #3 - EMPTY!
Secondary #1 - Downtown Flanders Brown (brewed August 2012)
Keg #1 - Coffee Vanilla Stout
Keg #2 - Fall of the Ukraine Baltic Porter (lagering in keg)
Keg #3 - EMPTY!
Bottled - NONE!

Old 10-26-2012, 09:20 PM   #5
Fredie_T
Recipes 

It was an extract beer. In the instructions it said that after 10 days to rack it into a secondary for a couple weeks before bottling. I am still trying to learn. I do some reading and watch videos. This is my second batch. My first was ok but not strong at all was like drinking o'douls.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:24 PM   #6
Fredie_T
Recipes 

Ok so I was about to bottle and got a reading of 1.03 my OG was 1.08. The directions say I should be at 1.01 or 1.012. How can i get it down I think I moved it to a second fermentation too soon. Should I put some sugar in and try and see if it will start to ferment some more? Or how much should I use to bottle.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:34 PM   #7
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4481 Times on 3260 Posts
Likes Given: 870

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredie_T View Post
Ok so I was about to bottle and got a reading of 1.03 my OG was 1.08. The directions say I should be at 1.01 or 1.012. How can i get it down I think I moved it to a second fermentation too soon. Should I put some sugar in and try and see if it will start to ferment some more? Or how much should I use to bottle.
Leave it alone for another week. Walk away, and don't even look at it.

In a week, check the SG again. If it's down, that's good. Walk away again. If it's not down, then walk away for a few more days.

Once it isn't moving at all, it can be bottled. Use .75 ounce of corn sugar per finished gallon (so 1.5 ounces or so total) when you bottle.

Old 11-05-2012, 12:42 PM   #8
Fredie_T
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yooper

Leave it alone for another week. Walk away, and don't even look at it.

In a week, check the SG again. If it's down, that's good. Walk away again. If it's not down, then walk away for a few more days.

Once it isn't moving at all, it can be bottled. Use .75 ounce of corn sugar per finished gallon (so 1.5 ounces or so total) when you bottle.
OK that is what I figured. I don't have corn sugar I have dextrose should that be the same?

Old 11-05-2012, 02:37 PM   #9
Matt3989
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fredie_T

OK that is what I figured. I don't have corn sugar I have dextrose should that be the same?
Yeah, dextrose is fine, but use 15% more by weight... So like .85 ounces per gallon.

Old 11-05-2012, 07:32 PM   #10
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 4481 Times on 3260 Posts
Likes Given: 870

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt3989 View Post
Yeah, dextrose is fine, but use 15% more by weight... So like .85 ounces per gallon.
No, dextrose IS corn sugar by definition. Don't increase it!

Quick Reply