The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Grapefruit taste

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2011, 04:12 AM   #11
Golddiggie
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 472 Times on 417 Posts
Likes Given: 266

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrayson726 View Post
That's what I'm talking about. Beer has been made for thousands of years. The refrigerator was invented in thew ~1750s. It wasn't a household item until the mid 1800s. So, prior to the last 150 years, beer was served at room temperature. This is one of the reasons that I test out my brews at room temperature to see if they are done. If they are done, I'll throw them in the fridge and let it sit there for a week or two before I let anyone else drink them (I'll always sneak a couple from time to time though).
People get the wrong idea when they hear about people overseas drinking beer at "room temperature"... What gets lost in translation is how that 'room' is really the wine cellar where the beer kegs/casks are also kept. So, it's in the 45-50F range down there... Poured into a bar temperature glass (or maybe slightly cooled to the low to mid 50's) and you have a thing of beauty...

A side benefit of drinking home brew not fridge temp (or in a frozen glass) is chill haze is suddently greatly reduced/gone...

When I eventually build my keezer, I plan to have it set to around 45F initially... I might up it a little once I've gotten a few brews in there... I can't see going too close to 50F though, but who knows...

I find that chilling the brew (in bottles) 2-3 days is a good minimum... That way, the trub gets to the bottom of the bottles, and is less to worry about when you pour...

First time I gave my mother a bottle I just emptied, she actually sucked down what was in the bottom... Before I could stop her... She's too used to commercial beer where you drink all of it (from the bottle)... I can only imagine what she went through the next day...

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-21-2011, 04:23 AM   #12
bgrayson726
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Golddiggie View Post
I can't see going too close to 50F though, but who knows...
Have you ever had a porter or stout, or any dark beer at 50-60 degrees? It's the only way to drink them in my opinion. When I said "room temperature" I meant, room temperature (60-65 degrees). I was not talking about overseas ways of drinking at "room temp," I was talking about pre-refrigeration days of room temp. The only way that they could get beer cold back then was to ship ice or use ice of their own. What would they do during summer months? Not drink? Of course not, they would drink it at the room temperature that they had

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply