The Great Bottle Opener Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Grains/Hops "Starter kit"?

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-05-2012, 05:40 PM   #1
bfinleyui
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Default Grains/Hops "Starter kit"?

I'm just moving past the recipe kits into formulating my own recipes and ingredients.

I'm also interested in doing some smaller, 3 gallon BIAB stovetop batches.

Problem is, buying in anything less than 10lb bags of grain, or 5lb bags of extract, is dumb. Same for hops < 8oz or so.

I have access to DME and limited hops/yeast locally, but the nearest shop with grains is about a 40 minute drive away, so I can't just run out and grab something on a whim, I kind of have to plan my attack.

If you had $75 or so to spend on some basic grains and hops to just have around, that could form the basis for a good number of recipes, what would you go with? Or, put another way, what do you go through the most and would want to constantly have on hand?

I tend to stick to lighter colored beers, so I'd generally avoid the darker caramels/crystals.

Thanks

Conditioning: Russian Imperial Stout
On Deck: DIPA w/Heady Topper Yeast

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-05-2012, 05:50 PM   #2
fall-line
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 49 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 14

I am fortunate to have a great shop a few minutes away with a 'grain card' program that keeps my costs down, so I have not yet gotten into the habit of buying in bulk. I do track my grain use though and these are the big ones for me in order of weight

* US 2 row (preferably organic)
* Marris Otter
* Munich Malt (if you are into lighter beers, you may prefer Vienna over Munich, they are extremely similar)
* Crystal 10/40/60/80 (you could just keep a little 10 and a little 80 on hand, and then blend them to get the intermediate numbers)
* Carapils

Looking over my last years worth of brewing, I could brew over half of my recipes with just the above malts.

"Brewing beer is a fun and rewarding hobby. When you do good, you get beer. When you do bad, you get beer. It's a lot like rec league softball"
(source)

Building a home brewery (and garage) from the ground up

Old 12-05-2012, 05:52 PM   #3
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1829 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 1298

For base malts,I'd say Rahr 2-row & Marris Otter (crisp). Maybe some crystal 10L & carapils for common pale ales & the like.
Then some "c" hops for APA/PA/IPA ales. English hops for when you want English hop flavors. German hops for that smooth spice.

Old 12-06-2012, 03:04 PM   #4
bfinleyui
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Just ordered:

10 lbs 2-row
2 lbs Vienna
2 lbs Crystal 20L
3 oz Cascade

and 8 ounces of the "Magic Hop Dust", for making a small-batch random pale ale.

Also got a packet of nottingham, as I'll be making a 3-gallon batch of Bee Cave Brewery Haus Pale Ale. Which will take about half those grains, so I'll have ~5 2-row, and a pound of vienna and a pound of 20l, along with about an ounce of cascade and 8oz of the dust. That'll be a mini mash/extract recipe though, most likely.

Thanks for the suggestions

Conditioning: Russian Imperial Stout
On Deck: DIPA w/Heady Topper Yeast

Quick Reply